Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-25-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default HDD possible failure?

I'm new to the forums. I've got a weird situation. I have a laptop with a Fujitsu 250GB HDD which is about two years old. I back up on a regular basis. The other day, I had the computer on my desk closed and in sleep mode. I went to open it up and it slipped out of my hands and dropped hard about 4 inches right where the HDD is located. The drive immediately started making pretty loud clicking noises and the computer wouldn't come out of sleep mode. I shut it off and waited a minute. When I tried to power it up again, the drive was making the same clicking noises and I got a message saying the computer did not recognize the drive. I tried starting the computer up several times over 30 minutes, but it kept clicking and not recognizing the drive. Ok... easy answer, right? Buy a new drive. Well, four days later, I tried booting up the computer one more time and the computer works fine! No noise and the drive is accessing data just fine. I even ran a SeaTools test on the drive and it passed! I've never had a drive do this before. Usually, they just fail and that's the end. Should I continue using this thing until it dies or should I just go out and buy a new drive?

Cycle Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
Omnipotent One
Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: HDD possible failure?

Open the thing up and make sure the drive is securely attached. I would keep and eye on it though and make sure to back up anything important in case of failure.

Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
Beta Member
Default Re: HDD possible failure?

I backed everything up. I just can't believe the thing is working again! I'll pop it open and take a look.
Cycle Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote