Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-12-2005, 08:43 PM   #1
Beta Member

Angry Hdd Password!!!

I bought a toshiba satellite laptop on ebay for 50 bucks. Got it and the HDD has a password. Sell doesn't know what it is and I could not return it as it was sold as. (Fixed all problems with it). Anybody know a way to crack/reset the password on my drive? I had the model up satellite but it broke so I saved the HD and I installed Win 98 on it, but when I try to boot it up, it says HD I/O Error, so I gave it to a friend who gave it to one of his other friends, so I got nothing. It has to be under 600 MB, which is now hard to find for a laptop. Tried ebay. Nothing. HELP TO CRACK/DECODE/RESET PASSWORD OR TELL ME WHERE I CAN GET A NEW HDD FOR A GOO PRICE!!!

fireviper619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 01:49 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to -Paul- Send a message via MSN to -Paul-
Default Re: Hdd Password!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireviper619
I bought a toshiba satellite laptop on ebay for 50 bucks. Got it and the HDD has a password. Sell doesn't know what it is and I could not return it as it was sold as. (Fixed all problems with it). Anybody know a way to crack/reset the password on my drive? I had the model up satellite but it broke so I saved the HD and I installed Win 98 on it, but when I try to boot it up, it says HD I/O Error, so I gave it to a friend who gave it to one of his other friends, so I got nothing. It has to be under 600 MB, which is now hard to find for a laptop. Tried ebay. Nothing. HELP TO CRACK/DECODE/RESET PASSWORD OR TELL ME WHERE I CAN GET A NEW HDD FOR A GOO PRICE!!!
your first prob is you bought a laptop for 50 bucks maybe you could format the hardrive and reload the operating system back on it

-Paul- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 02:49 AM   #3
BSOD

The only way I can think of that a hard drive could have a password is through the BIOS. Windows doesn't have any setting for that (that I know of). Find out who made the BIOS (the logo should show up somewhere at startup or in the BIOS options), and contact them to find out how to reset the password.
catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 06:29 AM   #4
In Runtime

to reset the BIOS open up the comp and take out the BIOS battery then leave it out for a few hours, put it back in and it should work
Old 08-13-2005, 06:48 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

Send a message via ICQ to DJ Stephen Send a message via AIM to DJ Stephen Send a message via MSN to DJ Stephen Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge
to reset the BIOS open up the comp and take out the BIOS battery then leave it out for a few hours, put it back in and it should work
Yeah, but surely that wont reset the password.
DJ Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 08:41 AM   #6
In Runtime

I always thought that it did, it's gotta be worth a try hasn't it?
Old 08-13-2005, 09:43 AM   #7
Golden Master

An HDD password is porbably a passord from a software before booting up. Try booting from the CD-ROM and destroy the partition using FDISK. Then use:

FORMAT C:

This should work
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:56 AM   #8
Fully Optimized

it's not the HDD that has a password it's your MOBO/BIOS. usally there is some pins on the MOBO to reset the password. taking out the BIOS battery should work also .
GPU-MSI GeForce 6600 GT(PCI Express)~~Monitor Viewsonic VA902B 19" 8ms~~ ATI TV Wonder Pro (TV Tuner)
~~Still to come~~: eVGA e-GeForce 7800 GT
Dishdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 11:37 AM   #9
Beta Member

Fdisk Wont even detect the hard drive because of the password. It is not the Bios because I put the hard drive in another laptop, and it did the same thing, it says that the password has a hard drive. So what I did was I took an external usb 2.5 inch hd enclosue and put it on my win xp machine, and win xp also could not detect the hard drive. I called stupid toshiba and they wanted 85 dollars an hour and 58 deposit and it is not certified to work. If anybody is selling around 500-600mb hd, tell me and I will buy it for a good price.
fireviper619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 11:48 AM   #10
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to Nik00117 Send a message via MSN to Nik00117 Send a message via Yahoo to Nik00117

All you want is 500 to 600MB HD for a laptop? Heh my dad bought like a 5 gig for 30 bucks once.