Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-01-2007, 10:32 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default HDD not being detected by MOBO

Hi, I had just finished installing 2 new sticks of ram. They seemed to have worked, but after I had added them my HDD can't be detected. When I try to start up I get a "Disk Boot Failure" where it asks to insert my system disk and press enter. I looked in the BIOS, and also my HDD can't be detected through their either. The HDD is one that came with my HP, and uses a SATA cable, I tried unpluging it and chaning ports and it dosn't help at all. Help is greaty appreciated.

capc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:36 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: HDD not being detected by MOBO

did you knock off a power supply connector or SATA cable connector in the process of installing the RAM? is the HDD recognized when the new RAM is taken out?

| AMD 3800+ X2 Dual Core Processor | ASUS A8N-e nF4 Ultra | Hitachi Deskstar 250gb 3.0 gb/s | 1gb Corsair Value RAM 2x512 | eVGA geforce 6800GS | sound blaster live! 24-bit | NZXT Trinity Classic chassis | OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI PSU |
I was there. In the networking forum for the first time, and it was because.. of 341
kchi55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:38 PM   #3
Beta Member

Well I'm using SATA, so I don't need to plug a power cord into it. I have removed and replaced both ends of the SATA cable. I havn't tried chaning the RAM back yet, I'll try that now.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:02 PM   #4
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

Last time I checked all my SATA drives, they all needed a power cable. You should double check yours to make sure it's plugged in.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:03 PM   #5
Beta Member

Oh really? Well, there isn't a slot for power cables anyways :/.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:08 PM   #6
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

Now that's just odd. There should be a set of contacts right next to the SATA cable contacts for the power connector.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:26 PM   #7
Beta Member

Ok, you were right. It was really dark in my computer so I was feeling around. And it felt like the plastic was just molded a certain way, but it was a power slot. So the bios detected my HDD, and I start up my computer fine. However, after the windows logo comes up with the loading bar the screen turns black and stays that way. The computer stays on.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:37 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

Um.. for the power supply cord, did you plug it into the 4 pin connector or the longer square-ish socket, sorry I can't be clearer, dunno what that slot is called lol.
| AMD 3800+ X2 Dual Core Processor | ASUS A8N-e nF4 Ultra | Hitachi Deskstar 250gb 3.0 gb/s | 1gb Corsair Value RAM 2x512 | eVGA geforce 6800GS | sound blaster live! 24-bit | NZXT Trinity Classic chassis | OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI PSU |
I was there. In the networking forum for the first time, and it was because.. of 341
Old 05-01-2007, 11:47 PM   #9
Beta Member

I used one that was a longer rectangle one, there isn't a slot for a 4 pin. It seems like theres a shape of one, but a piece of plastic is covering it up.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:49 PM   #10
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by capc View Post
I used one that was a longer rectangle one, there isn't a slot for a 4 pin. It seems like theres a shape of one, but a piece of plastic is covering it up.
Ah, k, well that's the right slot.. hmm you say it freezes up at the boot screen? does the hard drive work on any other computers, maybe you need a reformat.. hopefully not.