Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-07-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
Baseband Member
Default @#$)*&)@& HDD failure

Okay, my 40GB bit it last night from a head crash. Smelt like bacon. No prob, I'll use my dads 110GB. No dice, botched controller.

I think the 80GB in my main system (PIII/1000 that is hopefully getting upgraded to a dual-core soon) is also failing, as it is sporadically not recognized by the BIOS, and then is iffy just getting into windows.

Since my 110 and 40GB drives are gone, I have NO WAY to get the past 8+ months of work off of it. Is there some sort of program that will diagnose my machine and tell me what is wrong with it? I've already ran memtest86+ twice, just to be sure.

Tandyman100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
In Runtime
Default Re: @#$)*&)@& HDD failure

I've had good luck with getting files off of a bad/crashed hard drive with Zero Assumption Recovery

I've never used a diagnosing program but instead have tried to rule each part out as the problem.. For example switching a power supply to see if the problem continues..

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO | 4gb DDR3 GSkill | 550W Corsair power supply | AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1ghz(Unlocked 2 extra cores) | Sapphire 4870 512mb | 500gb Samsung |21.5" 1080p Hdmi Dell monitor| 21.6" Samsung monitor | RAIDMAX Tornado ATX-238WG | Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition
CBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

try slamming it 2 inches, then re plug it in, GET OYUR FILES OFF FAST, then throw it in the trash, because the lubricant in the berings is probably freezing up...
aPanzerIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
Omnipotent One
Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

Wow, I would never "slam" a hard drive to try to recover files. If anything, you can use the freezer trick to see if you can recover files off a bad drive. You place the drive in a zip lock bag in the freezer for a few hours or even overnight. Then connect it to the system and quickly recover any needed files.

Most hard drive manufactures have a diagnostic utility on their site that fully test the drive.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote