is this HDD dead?

Solid State Member
i just started up my old pc today and saw that i had a "system boot error" - i have no important data on that computer anymore (all transferred here, i think.) so it doesnt matter, but in the bios it first detected my hdd as not being there. i then unplugged then replugged in the cable and it then showed up as 11gb with a random name (when its around 74gb and usually shows its name) and also wouldnt boot :eek:. i dont have the time for it, and its an matx computer meaning its hard to get the hdd in and out but im wondering if it is a good chance its failed? just before i ditched the old computer the hard drive was abit strange - it started taking long to boot and clicked quietly on every reboot. a couple of months ago i used it to test an agp graphics card which i was going to put in my mums pc till i found out it was a dead card :mad: and i shutdown asoon as i rebooted using the normal graphics to see that it wasnt a dead mobo, and it worked, with the old HDD - but i dont think a dead agp card would break a hard drive? ill look at the bright side, if i EVER use that old mobo again for something an excuse to upgrade this computer to an sata drive :) its an old hard drive, i had that computer for 2.5-3 years and it was second hand (bought from a computer shop in my area), so im assuming it could just be that that hdd wore out and i picked the right time to buy a new computer?

Yes, It is possible that it is dead. Great thing you have got a new one.

I bet you could find out if you hit it with a hammer enough times that it opens, you take the metal disk out and check for scratches, if there are not scratches then chances are its still good.

Hey, if you hit anything with a hammer enough times it will get rid of scratches.

I took the disk out of my 250gb hardrive, hammered it enough times, put it back in and viola it was a 500gb hardrive and 10k rpms. Seriously tho. Also i find that if u cant get partition magic or one of those programs to partition good, just make a big scratch on the disk dividing it up into the partition sized u want. My e6600 + hammer session=q6600@4ghz.

Back
Top Bottom