Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to superman22x Send a message via Yahoo to superman22x
Default HD video stuttering on Youtube

Maybe my hardware is just way out of date, but I am having issues running HD videos on Youtube. I can play 720p just fine, but 1080p stutters sometimes, and 4K stutters pretty bad. I have a Core 2 Duo at around 2GHZ, 4GB of RAM (DDR2 800), and an 8800GTS 512MB (yeah I know, dinosaur age stuff), but I think it should be sufficient for this. It works fine when I play a downloaded video. Is there some other software I need that will utilize my GPU for video playback maybe?

Old 12-10-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
The Candyman

Default Re: HD video stuttering on Youtube

If you are streaming video on utube with high quality, your internet connection speed will play a big factor in the playback. If you have a high internet speed connection, then the shuttering will be from your graphic card.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:13 PM   #3
Golden Master

I have a 30mb connection, but I think my graphics card can handle it since it handles HD games ok.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:27 PM   #4
The Candyman

Not quite sure what the problem would be then, lets just blame it on the utube servers then. just kidding. I don't know man, this seems like a weird prob.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:08 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

Downloaded files probably use internal decoders of the player you're using to accelerate playback.

Flash player may be does not support the 8800GTS 512MB directly on web browsers and the CPU struggles. Check CPU usage when it happens.

Just may be.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
Solid State Member

If the only time you are having the stuttering issue is when you are streaming from youtube and everything else works fine I would blame the ISP first...Even though you are supposed to have a 30mb connection and I take it this is through your cable company?...That does not necessarily mean that is what you are getting consistently.

There is a chance that certain things are going on:

1. Heavily populated Node on your ISP connection. This means that there are a high number of people using the internet. During certain times of the day traffic will be extremely heavy and the ISP does not have the band width to give a high amount of bandwidth to every customer at the same time

2. Packet Loss or Poor Equipment. Often times either network errors at your ISP or hops in between cause a higher than normal packet loss between you and the website(s) you are attempting to download or stream from causing substandard performance even when the connection tests as normal. Try out pingtest.net in order to get a reading on possible packet loss problems. speedtest.net in order to test connection speed up and down. A poor upload speed will also contribute to poor connection speeds.

3. Viruses/Malware/Adware. The presence of adware/add-ons or viruses/malware can cause higher than normal processor usage which will cause streaming video to stutter and buffer as it waits for processor time. It is needed to note that in the event of adware/malware it is possible that special Add-Ons have been added to your browser or proxy settings inserted that would slow the video play only in the browser(s).

That's the basic stuff, if none of that covers the issue then we can start looking a little deeper. It's even possible that your provider has a failing or weak card or several other things as well...hope this helps
mastertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
Golden Master

Well, all of the problems with the connection would be eliminated by letting the video load, so at that point it's not directly streaming.

Netflix has no issues playing in HD either, although I'm not sure if that's full 1080p.
It might be that the 8800GTS isn't supported by flash player.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #8
Wizard of Wires

YouTube is making changes to it's system. I have a killer connection and even when not looking a an HD vid it will just stop dead in its tracks. You getting the error and come back later message?
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
YouTube is making changes to it's system. I have a killer connection and even when not looking a an HD vid it will just stop dead in its tracks. You getting the error and come back later message?
Yes I am.

(ten characters)
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #10
Golden Master

I don't get an error, it just skips a few beats, enough to make it annoying, haha.