HD issue werid

user12

In Runtime
i've got a 120GB seagate laying around, so i go to install ubuntu on it and when after its installed i notice i only had 110GB free?

check out the drive and its only an 114GB partition?

I go ahead delete all the partitions and zero fill the drive pop in an XP cd and it still only says i have 114GB of space to make a partition?

BIOS reads the drive as 120, seagate seatools reads the drive as a 120 and i even reset that native drive size with seatools as 120! everything says 120 untill you go to make a parition then no partitioning tool i've used YET sees anything more then 114GB.

this could be the same scenario as when you buy a drive and they just round out the number of Gigabites. i have 2 80Gig drives and ones actually 74Gigs and the other is 78Gigs. although 114 seems really low. they couldnt have just called it a 115Gig drive?

yea I understand you lose a little when you partition or sometimes its a little bit under the printed number but uhhh 6GB....no

yea I understand you lose a little when you partition or sometimes its a little bit under the printed number but uhhh 6GB....no

pretty sure its due to how the computer counts bits,

1024kbites - 1Mb

1000kbites - 1Mb

see what i mean?

i know that, thats why i stated they shouldve at least said it was a 115Gig, if it was origionally made 114Gigs that is.

pretty sure its due to how the computer counts bits,

1024kbites - 1Mb

1000kbites - 1Mb

see what i mean?

um i think you mean 1024kbytes = 1MB
1000kbits = 1Mb

one measures speed of data transfer and one measures storage of data. its why your HD is how many megabytes and your internet connection is how many megabits.

anyway, it doesn't explain losing 6 gigs! i don't care how you count anything that is not right.
1024*117=119,808

Yep the bigger the drive the more they "Exaggerate" the numbers you could say.
My 640 gig HDD only has 596 gigs of storage space :D
Even if that was minus the however many gigs Vista takes up it would still be exaggerated!

Yep the bigger the drive the more they "Exaggerate" the numbers you could say.
My 640 gig HDD only has 596 gigs of storage space :D
Even if that was minus the however many gigs Vista takes up it would still be exaggerated!

Exactly. My 500Gb is only 465Gb. So, it's likely that the drive is really only 114Gb.

Back
Top Bottom