Having troubles w/ Windows XP MCE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put Windows XP MCE (Media Center Eddition) on my computer, and I'm having a VERY difficult time with it. Here's some problems I'm having...

-Internet Explorere is no longer available. I deleted shortcuts to it, because it keep asking me which program I would like to open IE up with....REAAAALLY stupid. How am I supossed to open up IE when it asks me which program to use yet IE isn't a program on the list...

-I can not play ANY music whatsoever. Although it has Media Center, kind of an improved version of WMP (Windows Media Player). I select the dirextory to play the music from, then it says to convert the files using a conversion within Media Center, so i select the directory, click convert, then it says it can't open up the conversion file!!!

-Probablly the most annoying feature of all. Normally when you have a problem, you would hit the F1 button to search tutorials or articles on your topic. Well here's the REAL kicker, when I hit F1 to open up the help menu to figure out what's wrong, it says, "Can not find the help file" or something along those lines. So, now when I need help with something, I can't even get it because it says it can't open up the help folder/file!!!

I wish I would have known about these serious flaws before deleting my partion with my old OS, which was going to expire in roughly 2 days anyways. Bah this is most annoying. I can't believe MS is this poor at designing things. Any suggestions on what to do? I don't have the internet at home because my phone is shutdown. So I will try to get back this weekend once, well hopefully, when the phone gets turned back on. *no phone no internet - dial up*

I would just reinstall XP. Did you do a custom install or typical. if you did custom try typical. Also is this a legal copy of windows?

Well. It's not legal per se. I just needed a new OS because for some very odd reason it asks me to activate it, I click yes, then it does nothing. Very strange. BUt I seriosly need help getting IE to work.

I did, however, find a semi-loophole. I transfered important files and applications onto my D drive. Then installed XP MCE onto my C drive. One of the applications I saved onto the D drive was KCeasy. It's a P2P program. I can run the rpogram and what not, and it asks me to connect to the internet, oh and it asks me to connect thorugh an IE window, ha!! Anywho, this program allows me to play my music and what not. I was goign to download Mozilla FireFox from KCeasy in the P2P searches. Hopefully it will work out...

But what I really need help with is getting this darn IE to work. That and I am SERIOUSLY considering getting Linux, although how to obtain the software is entirely unknown to me.

I think this thread should be in Operating Systems, but this forum says Hardware and Software problems, and I think my problem isn't the entire OS but rather a few applications in the OS, such as software and what not, so I think it's in the right place.

But yes any help is greatly appreciated.

All I need help with is getting IE to work, getting my music to work, and getting the Help (F1) thing to work. That's it.

You get what you paid for, and since you didn't pay for it this is what you get. Go buy a legal copy and it will fix all your problems.

1337DuD3 said:
Yeah I aint got 100 dollars to drop on some piece of crap software. Sorry no thanks.

Well then you can keep your free peice of crap software that you have now then.

Having a pirate operating system is illegal. Either switch to Linux or buy a genuine copy of Windows.

Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom