Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-26-2008, 02:27 AM   #1
Beta Member
Default Having trouble during XP pro install on my new system

I asked this question at another forum and received an answer akin to "computer done broke", so I'm now asking around. I'm building a new computer and (as always) it's been one thing after another. I've finally reached a problem I can't seem to solve, so hopefully someone can help.

First off, my components:
Intel DP35DP motherboard with P35 express chipset and onboard sound and ethernet
Intel Q6600 Core 2 Quad Core processor
1 DIMM x 2GB DDR2 SDRAM by Kensington (KVR667D2N5)
GeForce 8600 GTS PCI-E graphics card
500GB Western Digital SATA HD
LG 18x DVD±RW SATA Drive

When I tried to install Windows XP Pro SP2, I received an error during the "blue screen" portion of the installer (before the graphics portion). I can't remember exactly what it was, but I discovered it was a lack of SATA drivers. With no floppy support on my motherboard (despite the fact that they sent me a floppy!) I had to make a slipstream install disk. This seemed to work as it got me to the graphics portion of the installer.

However, after a few minutes it throws another error: "Stop 0x0000000A Irql_Not_Less_or_Equal". I've ruled out the SATA issue as the culprit, because I've also tried to install on a 30GB IDE HD with an IDE CD drive, with the same results. I played around with the SATA settings in my BIOS when I thought that was the problem, but no luck. A Microsoft paper suggested flashing my BIOS, but this has been unsuccessful. I also tried installing Suse Linux 10.1, which told me it could not find install cd #1 in the drive, despite loading the installer from it.

I've been working on this for a few weeks, so I think I've tried a few other things that are escaping me. Could this be a bad motherboard or RAM? The jokers at the (only) local computer store told me it was a bad HD, but now I've tried 2 (and I KNOW the other works). All of the components are new and untested, and I really don't have a system capable of testing any of them.

Any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate any help you can offer.

ctdunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:58 PM   #2
In Runtime
Default Re: Having trouble during XP pro install on my new system

Did you load the drivers that came with your motherboard?
It should come on a CD.
You have to go to CMOS to turn on your floppy drive.
darroll is offline   Reply With Quote