I just wiped a friends laptop today and installed XP for him, had the exact same problems as you.
(In my friends case) because there was no drivers for the USB ports, Ethernet ports or the wireless. I had to use my own laptop, to first download a free driver from the broadcom website (heres a link to the drivers but be aware depending on you hardware you may need a different driver,http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethe...e_desktop.php)
. And also download a torrent driver downloader (I think I used driver majic).
I then burnt the data onto a DVDRW and went to my friends laptop, put the disk in and followed these steps:
- Control panel, Add Hardware
- It should then scan for hardware and ask "have you already connected the hardware to your computer?, click YES
- It should then come up with a list of hardware (most with a yellow question marks next to it)
- I then selected something like the ethernet port controller (I selected the ethernet port because of the hassle of getting the wireless key of my friends internet if i had chosen the wireless card)
- It should come up that there is no drivers for this device installed, click finish
- It will then come up with the hardware update wizzard and will ask does it want to search the internet for updates, click NO
- Then install the drivers from the disk
Then using an ethernet connection, you should be able to access the internet, thats where I used my driver update software to do the rest of my drivers for me. If you cant download torrent files, you might have to install drivers one at a time using windows.
Sorry its a long post, this is how I overcame the problem anyway, there probably a faster more simple solution but I couldnt be botherd to search or ask for one.
Hope this helps.