having problems setting up slave drive.

Foxhound888

Solid State Member
Ok so far what i knew what to do is, i took out the jumpers on my drive that im making a slave (0 jumpers makes it a slave), and i hooked it up. It's and ide interface and my master is an sata interfacen, not sure if thats makes any difference. The main problem that i'm running into is that when i start up my computer with both my hdd's hooked up it doesn't boot windows... I'm completely stumped on what to do, when i unhook the drive that i wan't to be a slave everything works like normal. last time i tried, it got to the point where it said insert boot disk because it couldn't boot the hardrive or somthing, and i inserted my xp disk and then a blue screen came up, to sum up what it said was that my computer had to shut down to prevent damage. Any help or links to help would be really helpful.

Thanks,

well when you add another hhd (harddrive) , you must go into bios & set up the boot order so that it boots to the hhd w/the OS (operating system) on it.

in bios, the boot order will be:
1st boot>cd drive
2nd boot>floppy drive
3rd boot>hhd with OS

also make shure that the OS hhd is set to active in the bios setup.

~mr mixx~ said:
well when you add another hhd (harddrive) , you must go into bios & set up the boot order so that it boots to the hhd w/the OS (operating system) on it.

in bios, the boot order will be:
1st boot>cd drive
2nd boot>floppy drive
3rd boot>hhd with OS

also make shure that the OS hhd is set to active in the bios setup.
Ok, but the hdd that i'm adding has windows operating system on it also, cause it used to be my master will that matter? Also i don't have a floppy drive...but i don't think it matters if i do or don't...

Edit: would it matter if i use a seperate ide slot for my slave of not?

it won't matter if the other hdd has windows on it or not, as long as the jumper settings are at slave, it won't boot from that drive
doesn't matter if you have a floppy, just set the boot order from the cd rom then the hdd with the os on it

correct...i have two hhd's w/the same OS on them, but it only boots up the primary master.so as long as the jumper's are set correctly & the cables are snug & correct, you should'nt have a problem.

I had one with an os on it too, I installed it in my computer, got all the files off of it I wanted, then formatted it and used it as a slave

alright well i tried changing the boot order but my bios just has one hdd you can't choose what hdd you want it to boot from, my mobo is a msi neo 2 plat. also my hdd that i'm currently using is set as a third master i think (my cd/dvd drive is set as primary master) and my hdd that i'm trying to make a slave says that it is set as a secondary slave... whats up with this?

hmm....the hd you're currently using should be a primary master, and the other one should be a primary slave

Tommy Boy said:
hmm....the hd you're currently using should be a primary master, and the other one should be a primary slave
Well i just left the stuff at factory setting's if i change the jumpers now, after everything's set up will it screw stuff up, or not?

it should'nt , when you reboot, it should straighten itself out.

just make shure the settings in bios are set correct

Back
Top Bottom