Have you got a 4tb drive

Sharpy1

In Runtime
Hi everyone having problems finding a motherboard (cheap) that supports 4tb hdd's so have any of you got any 4tb drives if you have could you tell me you motherboard please

Yup, I have three of them on the same computer along with two more. The mobo I'm using is ASRock Z77 Extreme 6. Not sure about the price tag since I got it a while back and it was a mid range performance part.

But anyways, I think you should search for your options first and look up if the support it. I don't think 4TB HDD's is lacking support by late mobos.

Last edited:
Yes on older boards they don't accept anything bigger than 2tb depends on the chipset used on the motherboard like mine for instance sufferes from this limit

If you are using a motherboard model made before a drive you are planning on using was made it might be a bad idea

It's a limit on the chipset and bios as far as I no

New motherboards don't always have this problem as they are using new chipsets it's just a technology moves on thing as far as I can tell

The board I was using was made before 4tb drives were made so cant support them thus I am still deciding on a new build but using a newer gigabyte model confirmed to support 4tb drives

Last edited:
What OS are you using? I have several 5TB external drives I use for backup purposes. I haven't found any machines that they won't work with regardless of the motherboard.

Do you plan to use the drive to boot from? My understanding is that you can use large drives that are GPT formatted as a data drive but, if you wish to boot from it, then you'll need a machine with UEFI.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom