Have to use system reset button to get computer to boot

primativ

Beta member
When I turn my SYSTEMAX computer on, it won't boot without me pressing the system reset button. The computer sounds like it is running but my monitors stay black. Most of the time I have to reconnect my mouse to get the cursor to move. It just started doing all this recently.

Anyone have any ideas?

I can;t get to the point, you said your screen isn't coming on.. but then you said about a mouse, you have to reconnect the usb to make the cursor move.. so am having difficult figuring out what exactly is the problem, does it turn on?

Have you split water on it by mistake?

Did you open the system up yourself and switch wires? the reset wire should be connected to the motherboards correct reset port.. have you configured or has anyone messed with the wires?

IAntDemo- The mouse issue is only apparent after I get it to boot using the system reset button.

No water has been spilled on the computer unless the wife didn't tell me :D

I have not open the computer since well before this began.

I think I can make sense out of what he is saying.
He turns his computer on, it wont post.
It will eventually post when he presses the reset button.
When it does post, he has to replug the mouse to get it working.

Sounds like the motherboard is going out. If its an old 423/478 board, it would make more sense, they've gotten alot better since them.
Old Amd boards also get finicky about half working, they wont die all the way, lol.

How old is the computer? It does sound like the motherboard is probably going bad. Have you tried a different mouse to see if it works better?

jmacavali- the computer is 4 years old. I have not tried a different mouse. The mouse works as expected when I unplug and replug it.

Still sounds like a mobo. I just wondered if a different mouse solved the problem with that then it might not be the mobo, but if it still happened with a different one then it would almost for sure be the mobo.

Either way, it sounds to me like it's the mobo that is going bad, just my opinion.

Go ahead and back up your stuff, if your techy you could get a new mobo, or take it to a shop. But If its outdated, get a new computer :)

Before doing that, reseat the RAM and try another PSU. I've dealt with one PC that had a hard start trouble, and the PSU was shot...to this day, I'm still wondering how it worked. This could also indicate why the mouse need unplugging and replugging; the voltage might not reach the desired output due to a PSU.

Try that first because if the board is shot, you'll most likely need a new PSU for a new one anyways.

Back
Top Bottom