Have a Celeron and need to upgrade. Help!!

Jayj2k1

Baseband Member
Whats good ya. I just got a Celeron PC for my father from Best Buy's Black Friday Advertisement. It was $150 in store for the PC and 17" Flat CRT monitor (talk about a pretty decent deal). So for him, I thought that was a good deal. The PC has the following:

-Celeron 340 D, 2.93 GHZ Processor, 533 FSB
-256 MB DDR 400 RAM
-80 GB Drive
-GeForce MX4000 128MB PCI Card (I popped this in to get rid of integrated video)
-DVD-ROM/CD-RW Drive

Basically, he is going to use it for going back to school as well as doing some CD-Burning and maybe even DVD-Burning. To do all of this, I will upgrade the hard drive and get a DVD-Burner eventually. What I am concerned about is memory! Right now it is OK, but I know I can juice it up.

To speed things up, I went on New Egg and I saw a Corsair 512MB DDR 400 chip for like $50 including shipping and handling. I work at Best Buy and we get the same exact one for $55 with our discount. Or I can go with the Corsair 1GB chip for $78. I am really considering the 1GB because you figure for an extra $30, you can get twice the memory.

Would that be enough for running most applications pretty fast without doing any gaming?

P.S. You figure if I get either one, I can pop one of those into my A64 3200+ (also DDR400 3200) to speed that up when he gets another desktop or goes with a laptop. Thanks a lot for the help ya

Get the 1GB. Dual channeling Ram makes the sticks go faster, so its worth the money

Well I'm really thinking about the 1GB but I'm also thinking about just throwing in another 512MB instead of the gig right now. Overall that would be 768MB altogether. Would that be plenty for doing CD-Burning and DVD-Burning with only a Celeron processor?

Remember that I did upgrade to a PCI video card (it only supports PCI) so that should help out the processor from doing integrated graphics. One question that I do have is:

How do I find out if the memory that came with the system originally, supports dual channel?

Back
Top Bottom