Has AMD had its day

I was just pointing out in a year a lot has happened. I'm sure the powers that be don't mind as long as whatever you post is productive to the thread.

I was just pointing out in a year a lot has happened. I'm sure the powers that be don't mind as long as whatever you post is productive to the thread.

Gotcha. I just found it pretty shocking that a Dual core could out perform a Hexa core

Fist I have to say that I go for AMD as I have found tyhat Intel doen't live up to it's hype.

I also read that Intel invest a lot in tech that has no purpose* and a lot in advertising as well. That is why I begrudge paying out for an Intel processor.

* Things that are aheasd of their time. Like when apple had made Safari support HTML5 about 2 years ago and only now it is starting to take off properly. Intel getting their processors to support PCI 3.0 before any content was avalible to take advantage of it, instead of working on it and ironing out most of the bugs before releasing it to the market.

I will say though that I also heard a year or so ago that AMD were going to release a better performing chip that would compete properly with the Intel ones. And nothing.

I know that people aren't goning to like this next comment but still.

I would rather pay say £150 on a processor that performs at 80% of the capabillity of the top of the range costing £350.

Sorry if the last bit does't make any sense.

Mossiac

Fist I have to say that I go for AMD as I have found tyhat Intel doen't live up to it's hype.

I also read that Intel invest a lot in tech that has no purpose* and a lot in advertising as well. That is why I begrudge paying out for an Intel processor.

* Things that are aheasd of their time. Like when apple had made Safari support HTML5 about 2 years ago and only now it is starting to take off properly. Intel getting their processors to support PCI 3.0 before any content was avalible to take advantage of it, instead of working on it and ironing out most of the bugs before releasing it to the market.

I will say though that I also heard a year or so ago that AMD were going to release a better performing chip that would compete properly with the Intel ones. And nothing.

I know that people aren't goning to like this next comment but still.

I would rather pay say £150 on a processor that performs at 80% of the capabillity of the top of the range costing £350.

Sorry if the last bit does't make any sense.

Mossiac

None of your argument makes any sense. Do this for me. Go to CPU Boss, and compare an i3-3250 to a Phenom II x6 1045. i3 = $150 Phenom = $300. i3 performs better for half the price. So much for "Pay 150 pounds on a processor that performs at 80% of the capability of the top of the range costing 350 pounds" This time, AMD costs more but performs less :) Give some facts, because just saying you "Read" or you "Saw" or "Heard" doesn't mean anything

Sorry YoungIT. You are right. "Heard, Saw, Read" isn't really proper fact but I do see a lot of info (especially at the mo while I look into a new build) and can't remember where I see the info.

And regards to the first part, I am only talking the top end CPUs where people care a bit more about power and performance. I know the mid and low range AMDs are slaughtered by Intel low range.

Mossiac

Sorry YoungIT. You are right. "Heard, Saw, Read" isn't really proper fact but I do see a lot of info (especially at the mo while I look into a new build) and can't remember where I see the info.

And regards to the first part, I am only talking the top end CPUs where people care a bit more about power and performance. I know the mid and low range AMDs are slaughtered by Intel low range.

Mossiac

Let me think.... I did find a website where the AMD had the best rated price for performance. It was some benchmark website! I'll find it and post it, I was pretty impressed!

Well my main points were that Intel is more expensive than it needs to be. To be honest the average Joe probably doesn't know what is in the PC they are using so all of the advertising with Intel is fairly pointless, and as this thread proves most that do know what is in the PC are loyal to one or the other or just pick the best performer to what they need.

And in the higher performing processors the performance difference doesn't really justify the cost. The lowest i7 I can find is £250.

Mossiac

Q: Has AMD had it's day?
A: No

The "battle" between AMD and Intel will continue. If AMD starts falling apart, Intel will keep them alive. The whole reason Intel started AMD was to avoid anti-trust litigation and mandated divestiture. It is in Intel's best interest to ensure that AMD has some market share.

You do make a very good point.

Say AMD do fall, Intel risk another company coming along that in time could do better than Intel.

Mossiac

Back
Top Bottom