Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-25-2011, 11:10 PM   #21
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Hardware or virus problem?

At what point does your system restart while booting to windows? I'd say that its either the power supply or the motherboard depending on where you hang during bootup.

My Desktop: Intel Core i7-970@4.5GHz 1.39V Stable--ASUS P6X58D-E--6GB Supertalent Chrome (Elpida Hyper) 1800MHz 6-6-6-24--eVGA GTX 580--Intel 510 120GB--WD 2TB Caviar Black--Silverstone RV03-EK Supreme HF w/ Black Ice GTX 480--Koolance VID-NX580

My Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4GHz--4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM--NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT-320GB hard drive
shozzking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:23 PM   #22
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shozzking View Post
At what point does your system restart while booting to windows? I'd say that its either the power supply or the motherboard depending on where you hang during bootup.
That's what I'm wondering too. Something I haven't ruled out yet is a bad windows install or hard drive. Next time you are able to boot into windows disabled automatic restart on system failure. I don't see where it was stated what your operating system was so I'm going to link some directions for XP, Vista and Windows 7:
Automatic Restart XP - How to Disable the Automatic Restart on System Failure in Windows XP
Automatic Restart Vista - How To Disable the Automatic Restart on System Failure in Windows Vista
Automatic Restart Windows 7 - How To Disable the Automatic Restart on System Failure in Windows 7

If the computer is restarting because of a blue-screen this will freeze the screen there so you can write down the error and give us that information. This would pretty much rule out the power supply and motherboard as the cause and make us look closer at windows and the hard drive. If it's not blue-screening then we can eliminate software issues as the problem.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:19 AM   #23
Solid State Member

Been using MS Security Essentials here on Windows 7 32 bit HP, since the first week Win 7 was available. Not had any problems at all, many 'items' have been found by it, and deleted. Updates are available from MS usually 2 or 3 times a week. Can't say it slows my old Intel P4 down, and I would say it's as good as any other free A/V.

Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote