Hardware or virus problem?

tbone1209

Solid State Member
Recently the desktop is running erratically:-
1. It shuts down by itself.
2.The screen scrolls up and down by itself.
3.Takes a number of power startup to reboot.
Needs some advice to correct the problem.
Thanks guys

Needs some advice to correct the problem.
If the machine is Dell, HP, or some other better manufacturer, then it comes with comprehensive hardware diagnostics. That diagnostic executes without Windows and without any malware. Either you quickly identify the defective hardware. Or you know to look elsewhere.

All computer manufacturers have these diagnostics. Only the better ones will provide diagnostic that are for questions such as yours.

Anything I can do at my end to get it fixed,I do have virus protection from my ISP,pretty good,I was told.

Anything I can do at my end to get it fixed,I do have virus protection from my ISP,pretty good,I was told.
If your virus protection is that good, then you do not have a virus problem.

If your computer manufacturer is not so responsible, you might download a diagnostic from your video controller manufacturer. Or just start replacing parts until something works. Or measure things that cause such problems. That requires a multimeter maybe from Kmart, Wal-Mart, or a friend. First identify a defect before fixing it.

This sounds more viral to me, even the best anti-viruses are not perfect and can miss the occasional new virus.

I'd run three programs to at least be sure that anything malicious is cleared out:
Malwarebytes
Combofix (from bleepingcomputer.com)
then follow it up with CCleaner.

Just because everyone has assumed virus, I'm going to suggest hardware. #1 and #3 sound like they might be a power supply problem. #2 could be a bad mouse scroll wheel.

I would test for viruses first (using the 3 programs mentioned by celegorm) because that the easiest step, but if they all come back clean, this would be my guess.

Thanks guys.
I think I got it,strictly hardware.
The optical mouse,I dont know.If it does the same thing I'll replace it.
Running for 4 hours now it hasn't shut down once.
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom