Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #11
Fully Optimized
 
~Darkseeker~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,494
Default Re: Hardware Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDSVTPARTS View Post
Why Would You Want a 64 Bit OS?
Install Windows 7 32 Bit...


Go back to working on cars man...


Anyhoo, i advise you against getting the HAF case if you ever intend to move it, almost killed me getting it into the shop one time.
__________________

__________________
EVGA SLI Micro Z68 // Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz // 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz // Overclocked ASUS GTX 660 Ti // Corsair Carbide SPEC-03 // Kingston Hyper-X 120GB // 2TB WD Green + 500GB WD Black
#JC4PM
~Darkseeker~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:00 PM   #12
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 27
Default Re: Hardware Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Darkseeker~ View Post


Go back to working on cars man...


Anyhoo, i advise you against getting the HAF case if you ever intend to move it, almost killed me getting it into the shop one time.
i work at a garden center, used to lifting heavy things with care going with the corsair case though, and its still just as heavy about.
__________________

imtheproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #13
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 27
Default Re: Hardware Recommendations

actually thinking about saving just under $200, going with a mid tower case, and then upgrading in a couple years (or whenever I need to)

would a 750W power supply be good for a gigabyte z68 mobo, i7 2600k, nVidia 570 GPU, 8 GB 1600MHz or higher RAM, etc...?

looking at this case now:

LIAN LI PC-60FN Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
imtheproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:55 PM   #14
Fully Optimized
 
dude_56013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,262
Default Re: Hardware Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtheproof View Post
actually thinking about saving just under $200, going with a mid tower case, and then upgrading in a couple years (or whenever I need to)

would a 750W power supply be good for a gigabyte z68 mobo, i7 2600k, nVidia 570 GPU, 8 GB 1600MHz or higher RAM, etc...?

looking at this case now:

LIAN LI PC-60FN Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Do not look at the wattage of the power supply. You need to look at the amps on the 12v rail. I prefer high amp, single 12v rail power supplies. Corsair and PC Power & Cooling and Antec all make higher quality power supplies, so check those for decent ones and if you have question, post the link and we can give you a definitive yes or no.

Lian Li makes great quality cases. I'm not sure you could NOT be happy with a Lian Li case!
dude_56013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:04 PM   #15
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 27
Default Re: Hardware Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_56013 View Post
Do not look at the wattage of the power supply. You need to look at the amps on the 12v rail. I prefer high amp, single 12v rail power supplies. Corsair and PC Power & Cooling and Antec all make higher quality power supplies, so check those for decent ones and if you have question, post the link and we can give you a definitive yes or no.

Lian Li makes great quality cases. I'm not sure you could NOT be happy with a Lian Li case!

i was looking at these ones:

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31

CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX750

im guessing the second one isnt worth the extra money, is it?

also, could i use a corsair CPU pump in the lian li case?

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CWCH50-1 High Performance CPU Cooler
imtheproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:32 PM   #16
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 27
Default Re: Hardware Recommendations

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL


should i get these? what are the downsides? the 2 stick 8gb set is $90 with the promo code.
imtheproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:03 AM   #17
Fully Optimized
 
dude_56013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,262
Default Re: Hardware Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtheproof View Post
i was looking at these ones:

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31

CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX750

im guessing the second one isnt worth the extra money, is it?

also, could i use a corsair CPU pump in the lian li case?

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CWCH50-1 High Performance CPU Cooler
Quote:
Originally Posted by imtheproof View Post
I would pass. I hate rebates...I like standards and things that just "work". Higher clocked RAM can be finicky, especially if you would have to OC to utilize the frequency. Plus, your CAS is much higher, which isn't a good thing. I'd just save yourself the trouble and get 1600 (link here). Cheaper anyways.

The first PSU (the cheaper Corsair) is just fine. The other one is more expensive because it's Gold certified for efficiency, and in all practicality that means nothing. The first one will definitely do the job for you. It's a newer variant of the one I've got.
dude_56013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:23 AM   #18
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 27
Default Re: Hardware Recommendations

should i get home premium 64bit or professional 64bit? I always thought it would be useless for me to get anything but home premium, but professional has 5/5 on newegg and home premium has 4/5. Any difference that supports the price difference?

also, would it be worth it to get a SSD?

im currently looking at the crucial m4 128 GB SSD

whats the difference with OEM when it comes to an OS? the price difference is drastically less. I can get this in a combo pack:

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

for $199.98.

should i just go with that? if not, can you post a link on newegg of the OS that i should be getting?
imtheproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:25 AM   #19
Fully Optimized
 
dude_56013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,262
Default Re: Hardware Recommendations

Just get Home Premium 64-bit. There honestly isn't much difference between any of them. I've got Ultimate on my desktop and HP on my laptop, and I honestly never notice a difference.

As for the SSD, I'll have to look into that tomorrow. It's bedtime for now.
dude_56013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:06 AM   #20
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 27
Default Re: Hardware Recommendations

Newegg.com - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case

looking at that case now. Its a cheap, top-rated, full ATX tower with supposedly good cooling, good cable routing, and it has 2.5" compatibility on all the 3.5" slots incase i get the SSD.

i can get it in a combo with the corsair 750W PSU and get $20 off for a $230 total.

also though, would the OS being OEM put me at a disadvantage? is SP1 currently the highest version of win7?

Newegg.com - EVGA 012-P3-1571-KR GeForce GTX 570 HD w/Display-Port (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Newegg.com - ASUS ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5 GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card


which one? the EVGA one comes with a 10 year warranty, the ASUS comes with a 3 year warranty. I have enough room for either one. If i do end up getting a second one for SLI later on, i'm not sure if my mobo will fit the 2 ASUS GPUs.

i'll probably not SLI though and just buy another single card later on, what do you recommend?
__________________

imtheproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0