Hardware problem

Dr Robert

Beta member
Can anyone help with this
My other half (wife) has or is intending working from home so we now have an office in the garden. I have wired it with power which was no problem as I know how to do that. I have run a Cat 5 cable from the Hub to the office (I call it a shed but she insists its an office) that's, when the problems started. When I connected the office wire to the hub I lost the internet connection to the TV. OK I was not sure what was going on so I fitted another Cat 5 socket and a new cable from the hub checked it both ends and it was OK. Fitted a new socket I the office but it would not work checked each end (socket) both good. Therefore it must be the cable. Checked that and found I had two broken wires somewhere in the 30 meter run. Double checked it by running a second cable along the floor into the garden office and connecting both ends again …. Not working same as last time again checked the cable by first removing the socket and ‘belling out the individual wires' Cable good therefore it must be the socket or the connection's to the terminals on the back of the socket, I am sure if you know how it is connected you can understand. Found the problem sorted that and stripped it all down re-run the Cat 5 cable around the house and out to the office. Re-connected the tester …. To check the wires just in case! All good NOW THIS is where it gets weird, Not knowing where she is going to have her desk I fitted TWO Ethernet sockets one on each side of the office, CONNECTED in parallel, the end unit or socket works the middle socket will not work. Logically it's the socket to the Ethernet cable where the problem is? So I changed thee socket to one I had spare same problem ….. if I remove the last socket and its connection to the house cable the socket works but should I connect the second socket it stops to work. Can anyone explain this to me as it defies logic I can get round the problem by having the desk on the good side which ever that is and only using the one socket. But that will not explain what is wrong is it something I have done when connecting the cable to the socket ….. help please
Dr Robert

I'm not to sure from your description what you have done. I do know that you cannot connect two ethernet sockets in parrallel and then connect them to the same ethernet cable. What you will need to do is connect the cable to a switch and then connect each computer to the switch.

TP-LINK 5 Port Fast Ethernet Switch LAN Network Hub Wired RJ45 Splitter | eBay

Something like this.

Or each ethernet socket to the switch. Or just use the switch with a cable going to wherever you finally decide to site the computer. I would go with connecting the sockets to the switch. that switch that I have linked to will allow 4 sockets the fifth hole being for the main cable.

Last edited:
Might be wrong on the last bit of above. looking at the advert there is another socket on the side which is, possibly, for the feed cable. it doesn't alter the main concept of what I said just that you can connect 5 devices to this switch rather than 4.

Thanks pete.i
I had a talk with a tech guy in town who told me the same thing you cannot have two on the same cable, which is not logical if you only are going to use the single socket.
There must be something in the socket its self which prevents it from working I have re-connected everything and its back to the way it was yesterday only the last socket works which is where the computer is going. I may try and remove the socket on the end and see if the socket works then with the extra cable still connected.

Well just use the switch. It's only a tenner and will give you five possible places to locate your computer. You can get switches with less sockets, I have one with only two outputs but for the price I don't think it's worth mucking about with cables and sockets. One cable in to a switch then output the switch to as many sockets as you want around the walls. Job done.

Back
Top Bottom