Hardware install questions

Enix82

Baseband Member
Hey guys, I got some hardware questions. As usual the manuals included in the hardware are something to be desired.

I have a question about my PSU hook ups. I have an OCZ powerstream, XFX 6800xt and an abit AN8 32x mobo. The PSU has an ATX 12v, (20+4 pin combo connector the 20 is atx12v and the 20+4 is EPS12v), a 4+4pin connector ( 4 is atx12v and 4+4 is eps12v). It also has 2 pci express pin connectors, 2 vga h.d.d. connectors. and a slew of female connectors (not sure of exact name) to connect to the peripherals.

The 6800 has a 4 pin connector on it's side, and I could see the PSU female connector attaching to it or the vga h.d.d. connetors.

the mobo has a 24-pin connector, ATXPWR1 and states that pin 11,12,23,24 should be left out, which leads me to belive to only connect the 20pin portion of the atx12v 20-4pin combo.

The mobo also has an atx12v1 4 pin connecto and I believe the 4 pin atx12v goes there.

Now the doozy for me, the bottom of the board has an ATX4p1 connector. It states that it is the auxilary 12v power conector and provides additional power to the PCI express slots. Its highly recommended that I attach to it. But with what?

This is the first newer age systems i've built and i've never experienced a PSU or MOBO this complex. Very detailed answers would be most appreciated.

Enix82 said:
Hey guys, I got some hardware questions. As usual the manuals included in the hardware are something to be desired.

I have a question about my PSU hook ups. I have an OCZ powerstream, XFX 6800xt and an abit AN8 32x mobo. The PSU has an ATX 12v, (20+4 pin combo connector the 20 is atx12v and the 20+4 is EPS12v), a 4+4pin connector ( 4 is atx12v and 4+4 is eps12v). It also has 2 pci express pin connectors, 2 vga h.d.d. connectors. and a slew of female connectors (not sure of exact name) to connect to the peripherals.

The 6800 has a 4 pin connector on it's side, and I could see the PSU female connector attaching to it or the vga h.d.d. connetors.

the mobo has a 24-pin connector, ATXPWR1 and states that pin 11,12,23,24 should be left out, which leads me to belive to only connect the 20pin portion of the atx12v 20-4pin combo.

The mobo also has an atx12v1 4 pin connecto and I believe the 4 pin atx12v goes there.

Now the doozy for me, the bottom of the board has an ATX4p1 connector. It states that it is the auxilary 12v power conector and provides additional power to the PCI express slots. Its highly recommended that I attach to it. But with what?

This is the first newer age systems i've built and i've never experienced a PSU or MOBO this complex. Very detailed answers would be most appreciated.

Ya PSU normally has a connector for this mate

Enix82 said:

It looks like a standard molex to connect to the ATX4P1, as for the ATXPWR! i would leave the 4 pins unconnected like it says and connect the ATX12V1 aswell. Ive never used this board before, so im sure someone will correct me if im wrong.

what do you think about the connection to the video card? the PSU has 2 coated cables that appear to be nothing more than molex but they are labled vga h.d.d.

Ok, after a bit of research I've learned that these are copper shielded cables used to protect the drives. Interesting. Thanks Raffaz!

Enix82 said:
Ok, after a bit of research I've learned that these are copper shielded cables used to protect the drives. Interesting. Thanks Raffaz!

Sorry i couldnt be more help but ive never worked with ABit :)

Back
Top Bottom