Hardware Crashed on Laptop

KevinG1

Baseband Member
My hard disk crashed on laptop..

I know there are several reasons why a hard disk could crash but I just want to know one thing..

I have 2.53 GHz processor, 512 ATI graphics card and 6 gb RAM...
I play Call of Duty 4 and 5 a lot.. do you reckon this could be the reason? Or any games can be a reason of crashing a hard disk..?

I find it hard to believe that a game will be the cause of crashing a hard disk but also at the end of the day any thing can happen..

What do you reckon? or suggest...?

Sorry can a mod please change the topic to Hard Disk crashed on Laptop.. I donno what I was thinking and the topic name says Hardware Crashed on Laptop lol

No I really don't think it has anything to do with the games. Hard drives are mechanical devices and therefore are bound to fail. Could be just a corrupt OS and not a complete failure though...

What exactly do you mean when you say ?hard disk crashed on laptop"? Can you not boot into Windows? Is the computer freezing during Windows? Are you getting into POST? Do you move your computer a lot?

There is no way for a game to crash a HDD. I think the only software that could do that is virus. Generally, a HDD will die from age. However, because it has moving parts, if you toss your laptop around a lot, it could also die.

yea.. I cannot boot into windows.. Its a 0142 error which I do a diagnostic test..
then it auto takes me to Recovery mode.. but because its a hard disk error I think i just need it replaced..
Its a dell laptop lol I bought it like 3-4 weeks ago max...Lucky I still have the warranty.. so they can replace it for me.. but if I get another problem I am gonna get the whole laptop replaced.. yea I move my laptop around a lot but :p not tossing hehe... I make sure I handle it well..

I think it's just a corrupt OS installation. Do you have the recovery disc for Windows? If not, ask Dell for one and reformat your computer.

I would vote for a format and reinstall NOT using the dell disk.

you'll actually get a CLEAN install of your OS without the added garbage dell puts on anything that leave the factory, this will also force you to download the latest drivers...and only go to dell for drivers if you absolutly have to.

but before all this I would hit the windows recovery console and run some fixboot and chkdsk.

I would vote for a format and reinstall NOT using the dell disk.

you'll actually get a CLEAN install of your OS without the added garbage dell puts on anything that leave the factory, this will also force you to download the latest drivers...and only go to dell for drivers if you absolutly have to.

This is one way to do it. However, downloading drivers can be a bigger hassle than deleting crapware. A lot of the latest laptops have a gazillion functions and it really is very annoying to get drivers for all of them.

Alright thanks a lot people.. I will let them replace the hard disk and will install my own OS :)

Back
Top Bottom