Hardware conflicts

Wallaby Dan

Fully Optimized
Hi, I don't know if you can help in this or not, but here goes. I have a older computer that can't use windows 10. It needs a different video card. I got a MSI geforce 710 card and it installs perfect but it has a hdmi output and atx. my monitor is a atx too. The issue is it kills the sound. There is something causing it to kill the realtek on-board sound. There is no settings i have found that will let the sound board to work outside of the hdmi. Right now i am running windows 7 64bit. I tried a sound card that will work on windows 10 and 7+8. i think it will work on XP as well. Installed the driver package and it killed my video and caused the Blue screen of death and i couldn't get a restart untill i took the sound card and video card out. then i had to go in and reset the bios and set them default. After that i was able to get the windows to load and the computer works ok. What am i missing in the settings? Is this a problem with my older motherboard or something else. I am running a older Asus /HP motherboard A8N-LA Nagami with ddr 1 (4 gigs) and a Athlon 64X2 4800+. I know its old but am wondering if i can update it enough so i can continue to use it for a few more years as i am just too short on funds to replace the whole system. Any Ideas?? Help...:eek:

I'm not sure if you are using the correct terminology here, I have never heard of an "ATX Monitor". Perhaps you mean VGA or DVI?

Sounds like your HDMI is taking over the audio. You can select your audio device on Windows 7 if you right click on the speaker icon in your system tray and click on Playback devices.

audio%20devices.png

I suspect they typed "atx" twice instead of "hdmi."

Working on the assumption that it is a HDMI monitor, then Legodude is probably correct. Right click the speaker icon and click "Playback Devices" like he suggested, then right click the "Realtek..." speaker option, and set as default device.

Sorry about that folks it is a vga and the video card has all three outputs( vga, dvi and hdmi.) When i tried it last time it only showed the HDMI ports that said HDMI port1 HDMI port0. Thats why i tried the sound card. The Monitor is a VGA and flat screen thats about 4 years old. The motherboard was new then too. I replaced the board with the new one and the old one was the same type board At the time that is what i could afford. Its a good board and is plenty fast for this old man. Don't really want to get rid of it yet. Right now Windows 7 64 bit is whats in it. But with Microsoft changing what they will support I thought i could upgrade enough to work with windows 10. I will try it again with the video card and see if it will maybe show the speaker so i can get the sound to work.Will let you know. Thanks for the help!!! Dan

Have a Diamond sound card that is supposed to work with windows Vista,7, 8.1 and 10. I ended up replacing that sound card with another one as this one just stopped windows from starting up and affected the bios screen too. New card(same as the other card) worked first time out of the box. So now i think i am ready to go for windows 10 64 bit. I thank you for all the suggestions and help. Seems to be fixed now. :flowers: Now to try and load 10 into it.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom