Harddrives >.>

Grantofhell

Fully Optimized
So, get this. Ordered a new 7200.12 from SeaGate (500G/16M) and just like my 7200.11, it's failing S.M.A.R.T. I am thinking it's something other than the HDD. SATA controllers on the Evga 680i, perhaps? No one else has reported much wrong with them. Or just software malfunction. Any suggestion for legit SMART status checkers?

Thanks.

Did you ghost your install onto the new drive, or fresh install? I have seen a few cases where ghosting would ghost over SMART status as well. Otherwise I'd guess it would be the controller on the motherboard, but if possible I'd try a new data cable and motherboard port first.

Yeah, I cloned it, but I checked the SMART status before I cloned it over and it still showed fail then. Both of them work, so it can't be too fatal >.>

Download HD Tune and use the diagnostics tool in that. Tell me if you get any bad sectors.

Thanks Rohan.

EDIT: 500Gb @ 52Mbps. It'll be some time before I post back.

EDIT2: This wouldn't be the cause of the SMART fail, but for whatever reason, my primary partition is actually a Logical drive partition which doesn't make sense because it wouldn't boot. So it reads my C:\ partition as non-bootable and my alternate partition as bootable :S But the question behind that is do you think it really could be SATA controller 0/1 that failed due to actual booting of a logical partition extension o_O?

EDIT3: oh, joy. I find out, 80 minutes in, mind you (250Gb) that there's a quick scan option that is done in about 30 seconds...It reports no damaged sectors.

Back
Top Bottom