Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-03-2007, 09:53 PM   #11
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Harddrive Low Space?

ahhh, you have an acer laptop. I assume you have lots of music or pictures or some such. you should copy a bunch of that stuff to the d: acerdata partition of your harddrive. This will free up space on the primary partition. Right now your computer is yelling at you because your infringing on the hard drive space it wants to allocate as virtual memory. Just copy some stuff over to the other drive for storage and you'll be good to go. Theres actually 3 partitions on that drive, the c that has the os, the d that is mostly for storage and such, and a hidden restore partition that is usually like 3 or 4 gigs i think. hopefully this helps ya out.

xtremezx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:55 PM   #12
The Candyman

if I were you i would get at least a 40 to 60gig hd, and use the one you have now as a slave drive for backing up stuff. the hd you have now will fill up in no time, then you'll have to revert to compressing it, but that only goes so far.

it's better to get a hd with plenty of space, especially if you want to dual boot an OS (opertating system) .

Old 05-04-2007, 02:59 PM   #13
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to Camelia Send a message via MSN to Camelia Send a message via Yahoo to Camelia

Do you mean like copy files like "Documents and Setting" from C-Drive to D-Drive? Why is the drive not all in one. Wy is there a C-drive and D-drive?
Camelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:10 PM   #14
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelia View Post
Do you mean like copy files like "Documents and Setting" from C-Drive to D-Drive? Why is the drive not all in one. Wy is there a C-drive and D-drive?
It is 1 physical drive, its just broke into smaller sections. It makes it better for sorting and arranging things.
Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:12 PM   #15
The Candyman

It's only one hd I believe, but it's made into two seperate partitions so it will look like you have two harddrives. C and D.

example would be like this. if i had a hd with let's say four partitons on it, when you click on my computer, it will come up like this:

A: <--- if you have a 3.5 floppy drive
c: main hd
d: second partiton
e: third partiton
f: fourth partiton

-edit-

now new computers now come with a seperate partiton on the hd just for restoring purposes, it's better than having cd's to restore with, for the fact they won't get lost or scratched.

each one acts just like a hd (hard drive)
Old 05-04-2007, 03:26 PM   #16
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to Camelia Send a message via MSN to Camelia Send a message via Yahoo to Camelia

I copied Documents and Settins from C to D drive. Mostly everything you have on your your folder on your desktop is from Documents and Settings right?
Old 05-04-2007, 03:57 PM   #17
Wizard of Wires

If the D drive label says something like "Recovery" don't mess with it. If you need to reinstall the operating sysytem on your lappy that is where it comes from. Strange way to do things but that's the way it is.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 04:39 PM   #18
BSOD

What does it mean to partition the other drive (D-drive) and how do I do it?
Old 05-04-2007, 06:18 PM   #19
Daemon Poster

the drive is already partitioned. just copy all of the files such as pictures and such to that d: drive and when your sure they've been copied then delete them from your os drive. don't worry about the recovery partition, it is a hidden third partition on the acer laptops (i gather this is what you have from the name of your drives).
xtremezx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:37 PM   #20
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to Comp_Pro

have you tried this thing?

go to start, my computer, local disk properties, click on tools then click defragmentaition.
That should restore some space, how old is your computer?