Harddrive Error

epihammer

Baseband Member
What does the following error mean and how do I fix it?

Pri Slave Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. Status BAD, Backup and Replace
Press F1 to Resume

Any help would be great!!!!!

Thank You,
Hammer

epihammer said:
What does the following error mean and how do I fix it?

Pri Slave Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. Status BAD, Backup and Replace
Press F1 to Resume

Any help would be great!!!!!

Thank You,
Hammer

You're hard drive will fail at anytime, so you should copy all the infomation to a new hard drive and throw out the old drive.

DJ-CHRIS said:
You're hard drive will fail at anytime, so you should copy all the infomation to a new hard drive and throw out the old drive.
QFT, don't boot to it any more than is necessary until you have your backup drive ready, personally I'd unplug it, get your new drive up and running then plug the original back in as a slave drive and retrieve your data that way. Once S.M.A.R.T. ( System Monitoring And Reporting Tool) starts showing that error the the drive could fail totally at anytime.

If you follow my method you may need to read this.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

Becuase your data on the old drive will be under your old logon you may be denied access when trying to retrieve it for the new drive, the link above explains how to get around that.

You could try hdd diagnostics/repair tools from the manufacturers website but I feel the chances of recovering the drive are slim and in the process it could die permanently.

It seems that some people either haven't read carefully or thought wrong.

It appears that your SLAVE drive is dying. Create a folder and extract all files and folders of the failiong drive in the other drive. Although, I had SMART problems and my Firmware went out....meaning a drive without possibility of getting back. If your drive is usable still do it NOW, if not...it's gone.

So it appears. Lol, I misread the first post, my bad. Oh well, I won't edit out my first post because even though the info isn't really relevant to this particular case it is relevant where the failing drive is Primary Master.

Too early in the morning, need more coffee :D

Back
Top Bottom