Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-12-2005, 10:18 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to -Paul- Send a message via MSN to -Paul-
Default harddrive beep

ok so like when my computer turns on, the hardrive SOMETIMES BEEPS, other times it will be on for like 30minutes and then beep, there is no like constant schedule as to when it does it, and it does it when the drive is hot and cold. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IS CAUSING THIS?!?!?!?! BECAUSE IT IS DRIVING ME INSANE?!?!?!?!?!????

-Paul- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 11:29 PM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: harddrive beep

All new HDs have SMART (Self Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology). In lamen terms, the BIOS/software receives SMART attributes like HD temp, errors, and more from the HD. When a SMART attribute value reaches a threshold value, the BIOS/software alerts you that a SMART attribute value(s) have reached a threshold value and beeps to let you know... If you have SMART software, it can tell you these info and predict impending drive failures. BUT hearing a beep doesnt always mean a bad thing... It just tells you that something's not normal in your HD, most likely temperature.

Just to be safe, you should download SMART software to see exactly what the problem is.

AnonymousI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:17 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

no because as i said it will happen when i first turn my pc on and it is just repetitive, it does not have a "rythm" of any kind and also the beep is coming from the HD not the Mother board
Old 10-14-2005, 09:04 PM   #4
In Runtime

I have never heard or seen an HD with a speaker.
AnonymousI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 07:42 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

thank you smartass, it is just a beep, not like a tune, it could be from two components hitting each other
Old 11-07-2005, 02:47 AM   #6
Golden Master

Unhappy Re: harddrive beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousI
All new HDs have SMART (Self Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology). In lamen terms, the BIOS/software receives SMART attributes like HD temp, errors, and more from the HD. When a SMART attribute value reaches a threshold value, the BIOS/software alerts you that a SMART attribute value(s) have reached a threshold value and beeps to let you know... If you have SMART software, it can tell you these info and predict impending drive failures. BUT hearing a beep doesnt always mean a bad thing... It just tells you that something's not normal in your HD, most likely temperature.

Just to be safe, you should download SMART software to see exactly what the problem is.
Just a comment on your sig, how can you say it isn't the fault of the computer?, I agree that the hardware/software etc can cause problems, & the operator can gum up the works sometimes, but you're saying it's the guy at the keyboard all the time!!

Brookfield is offline   Reply With Quote