Hard Drives

Tommy Boy

Golden Master
I've been having this problem for a couple weeks now. I have 2 hard drives, a Maxtor 200 gb as my primary os drive with 2 partitions, and a Maxtor 250gb drive as a storage drive. When I start my pc, the primary drive doesn't always start up, in other words, I can hear the slave drive, but I cannot hear the primary drive spin up and I get a "disk boot failure" error. most times I have to shut off and turn on my pc about 4-5 times before the primary drive will spin up and be detected. What do you think this means? Think my hard drive is going to take a dirt nap? I'm just afraid someday it just won't start at all.

thanks for the help
Tom

It seems like it's dying. Backup all data.

Everytime you turn it on, you make it worse. Worst comes to worst is when you hear your HD clicking. Have you had any power problems? [Turning off your computer the wrong way?]

no, I haven't had any power problems. I also forgot to post that I have swapped power connectors for it and it did no good.
It does seem like it's getting worse, before it would only do that once in a while, then it would do it more frequently, and sometimes it would just start right up with no problems. now it's doing it regularly, for about the past week or so. I'm going to start backing up my data while I can

alright, I figured it out....I had 2 bad power plugs. what I was doing when I said I was swapping power plugs was I just swapped the two that were powering my two hard drives with each other....not trying 2 different power plugs. so I proceeded to plug in two fresh power plugs from my psu and voila! fires up like a champ every time. needless to say I'm relieved.

Back
Top Bottom