hard drive woes

joenailface

Baseband Member
ok i bought a new hard drive and i have a few problems with it

first off in the bios it reads as 250gb but in windows properties it reads as 125 if anyone knows why or a solution it would be greatly appriciated

i need to transfer my files from one hard drive to another but i only have a copy of xp pro and my old hard drive runs on xp home is there any way of transfering the files without installing xp pro on the old hard drive as i dont want to risk losing all my files

also i need help setting up a master and slave situation could this be done with two different operating systems or does xp pro and xp home actually count as two different operating systems or just two branchs of the same one which would enable them to be linked without needing another computer

help with anything here would be GREATLY appriciated

I don't know about the first question,

but you could still make backups on that other drive, as long as you only copy files and not programs across.

As for the Master and Slave thing, connect them up in that order. If the Master had Windows on it, the Slave wouldn't need Windows, but if it does as well, windows will ask which one do you want to boot from, and just choose the one with the files on.
Then just start dragging files off from the Master to the Slave :)

I hope this helps, and welcome :)

Um...

2 things jump to mind.
1> you split the drive in two when you partitioned it. unlikely since formatting and installing would give an odd number not a 50/50 split.
2> you need LBA support for a drive that big.
You can get LBA drivers from the xp site or the drive makers site. It will be titled something like. 48 bit LBA support. Check the drive makers site first.
As for the dual boot you may want to leave per and lurkswithin a pm. These 2 know more about that than I do. When I need another os I just build another system. But then that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom