Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-10-2007, 12:40 PM   #1
Solid State Member
Default Hard drive went down

hi all i thought i would ask here before i mess things up more lol

what i have is a dell XPS 400

on my original HD i have the OS i had added a 2nd HD but as it all go's i just made my last payment on this puter

so no more support from dell .

whats going on is i ended up with a blue screen stating missing file

system\system32\config\system file corrupted \not found

i tried to reboot and run the repair from the cd disk then it said no drives are found i went in to set up F12 and checked and there all on ,,

so i cant access drives or any thing ,,

in the safe mode i can get in to it but it wount do any thing .. are you with me so far lol

here's what I'm doing stop me if I'm wrong thx

i took out the 2 HD's i have in there

i put in a new HD and i am installing the OS as we speak

i plan on once i get it back up and running ( OS ) installing the original HD as a slave and going to get my files off that hard drive data /and program to the new one or try any way

dose this sound like it might work ?

and if i can get all my files off i could just reformat the original hard drive to blank and take it out and reinstall my original slave hard drive and put it back for a extra hd

I'm a little puter illiterate but i think this might work but that's all i could think of

thanks any input would be appreciated

mdel747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:36 PM   #2
Solid State Member
Default Re: Hard drive went down

well i have the new hd in and the os installed but i cant access the 2nd hd
i put in my old slave hd and same thing i must have settings wrong

and the screen when i scroll down is all jerky I'm not sure on this also

but its running and have Internet but laptop is working so i don't know i installed the new router today to get faster on the laptop but I'm sure that's not causing a prob as i just got it configured

any help would be appreciated

Old 10-11-2007, 02:28 PM   #3
Baseband Member
Send a message via MSN to LiveWire

You need to install the drivers. Most likely available from te dell site, if you can stand the jerky screen for a few more minutes
Also, they would be video drivers.
LiveWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:10 AM   #4
Solid State Member

thanks live-wire that's what they were i didn't have all of the drivers installed

i have every thing back up and running now , i installed the old hard drive as a slave and tried to access it had a bit of trouble as the drive letters are not correct yet my main drive said drive I and my slave said c but i found it and it works for now i will have to figure out how to change them later ,, but what i found once i got in was i had folder lock encryption running on the first hard drive and it had my files locked and i could not access them or the program ,, i reinstalled the folder lock program and thought it would over wright the last one but not quite true , so i had access to some files but not the ones i wanted , so i found a program called advanced file recovery ,, i ran the demo version and it pulled out files ( but demo is limited to 65k file size ) but it showed it worked so i bought it and its a breeze to run pulled out all my pica and videos ( i tape whitetail bucks ) and tomorrow I'm going after my program exe files so i don't have to download them again ,,,, but every thing is up and working fine now ,,

once I'm done getting all the files off i will reformat the drive and wipe every thing out and reinstall a OS and put it aside for later use as its only 250gig

just a update in case someone runs into this

so thank you for all the good advice ,