Hard drive thingy....

Tweak

In Runtime
ok, ever since i built this computer....my harddrive has been showing up as an external device...so there is always a safely remove hardware icon on my programs menu thingy on the bottom right of my screen, but i cant remove it obviously because it is in use...what do i do? i kinda get annoyed that it is down there....even though it doenst effect the performance of my PC...but still....

I've tried finding a way but theres no way of getting rid of that from the taskbar either, though I would have thought they'd be a way if it was annoying you that much.

I guess you'll have to just cope with it...

I have that same thing!!!! I didn't think anyone here has that problem too. I also have a SATA drive. Glad I'm not the only one with this minor glitch.

Isn't SATA hot pluggable though? I hear it's like Plug and play which may be why it's showing up down there in the system tray. But if it's really irritating to you, the only thing you can do is hide it. Right click on taskbar->Properties->Taskbar(tab)->Customize. Click on the safely remove hardware icon in the list and change it to always hide.

the only way to get rid of the connection thingy in the system tray is to go into my computer/device manager and disable the hardware.
but obviosly you do not want to disable the the hard drive. but it may be worth a try you can always enable it again.

also if you double click the thingy it will ask if you want to stop the device give it a go what have you got to lose.

the only other way is to diconect the drive and reinstall it. anthing is worth a try it woud annoy me too. i have a internal card reader that is a usb connection and this does the same thing so i disable it until i need it bit different though with a hard drive

MSI ATX CASE MSI kt3 ultra2 motherboard AMD 3000+ Barton core CPU 2.17 GhzTHERMALTAKE 3400 AMD FAN/(extra cool) 256 L1 CACHE 512 L2 CACHE 1 GIG DDR RAM 2700 Mhz MEMORY 2.5 clATI RADEON 7200 SE GRAPHICS (NOT THE BEST BUT NOT BAD) WIFI NETGEAR ADAPTER REALTEK NETWORK CARD REALTEK AC 97 5.1 SOUND SURROUND 6 X USB 2.0 1X FIREWIRE ON D BRACKET 1 X 7200RPM 80GB MAXTOR DIAMOND PLUS 9 HARD DRIVESPLIT 3 X 10 GIG FOR WINDOWS 1 X 50GIG BACKUPS1 x 40GB DIAMOND PLUS 9 7200 RPM BACKUP DRIVERUNNING 2 x WIN XP HOME 1 x XP PRO SPLIT 1 X 10 FOR WIN XP PRO 1 X 30GIG BACKUPS1 X MSI CD RW/DVD ROM 1 X TDK DVDRW MULTI DRIVE 1 X FLOPPY 1 X 12 IN 1 CARD READER2MB WIRELESS BROADBAND

Ah right, kewl TRDCorolla. Didn't think of that one :)

Make sure 'Hide Inactive Icons' is ticked to allow you to click on Customise... it was blanked out when I just looked until I clicked that

Assembler... that would be dangerous if its running the PC...

yeah i know what you mean but will it even allow him to disable with it being such a important peice of hardware. i thought even as he is not phisicaly diconecting the hardware it may just hide the icon in the system tray. as this is what i do with the card reader but it is not as important as a h/d

Hehe, its okay. TRDCorolla's answer makes it hide the drive so that icon doesn't appear, so thats fine

Back
Top Bottom