Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-25-2009, 10:10 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Default hard drive temperatures

hi there, i recently am having concern with one of my hard drive temps. i have two Western digital caviar 250gb (WD2500KS-00MJB0). the drive thats running hot used to be my primary drive and its running a vantec hdd cooler.it usually runs between 50-59 degrees Celsius with and without the cooler on. i have adequate air flow in my hdd bay since theres a front intake fan on my case in front of the bay with an air flow of 78cfm. my other hard drive which is now my primary drive running vista has no cooler on it and runs between 28-36 degrees celsius which is what i dont understand. i have my primary drive towards the bottom of the bay and the drive thats running hot is 2 slots up from the primary to allow airflow inbetween the drives. i purchased the drive thats running hot about a year before i added the second drive which is now my primary. so my question is why is my drive running so hot no matter what i try?

EricM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: hard drive temperatures

Could be anything from the temp sensors being off to the drive just running hot. Is it hotter to the touch than the other drive?

Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy

Hmm....I don't know

Have you tried different temp monitoring programs and do they have the same result? The drive should run a little cooler with the drive cooler turned on. Perhaps it a temp sensor issue in the drive?

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:17 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to FlightSimBoy

Some hard drives run hot. I'm not sure about that hot though. My main is always around 38 to 40 degrees C and it's a WD Caviar, and I have no HD cage fan.

What are you using to measure temps? There's a possibility that could be wrong. Try using more than one program.
My Computer: eMachines T5226 - Intel Pentium D Dual Core @ 3 GHz - Diamond Viper Radeon HD3870 OC Edition with 1 GB GDDR3 VRAM - 4 GB PQi Turbo DDR2-533 RAM - Corsair 650W PSU with 52A on single rail - TSSTcorp DVD-DL+-RW combo drive - Lite-on 52x CD-RW burner - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer - Logitech z5300e speakers - WinFast TV Tuner - Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. eBay name: Flightsimboy304
FlightSimBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:22 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

both drives feel relatively the same when i touched them.. both felt on the cool side. i'm using everest ultimate edition, speedfan and seatools to monitor temps and all report the same temps for all my drives.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:33 PM   #6
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM View Post
both drives feel relatively the same when i touched them.. both felt on the cool side. i'm using everest ultimate edition, speedfan and seatools to monitor temps and all report the same temps for all my drives.
I'll bet it's a temp sensor issue inside the drive then, if it feels relatively cool then it should be okay.

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:33 PM   #7
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

I would think you should be able to feel the difference in temps between the two since they are nearly 30 different. If the drive is operating properly and is not throwing any errors, I really wouldn't worry about it. It's temp sensors are probably reporting incorrectly.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:34 PM   #8
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Cabbs

Chances are it's fine. If it was really running that hot, you would feel it before your finger even touched the hard drive.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:40 PM   #9
Daemon Poster

i'm feeling the top of the hard drives and both arent even hot at all (feels almost the same as touching them while theyre off) my computer has been on all day too.. i'm going to try putting the cooler on the other hard drive to see how much it changes the temp by.. then maybe that will show me that its probably a sensor issue in the other drive.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:40 PM   #10
Fully Optimized

Download and run HD Tune 2.55

2.13Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-2GB DDR2 800 Mhz-500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue- Nvidia 9400M
rohan23 is offline   Reply With Quote