Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-15-2006, 03:25 AM   #1
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to tivaelydoc Send a message via MSN to tivaelydoc Send a message via Yahoo to tivaelydoc
Default Hard drive swap.

I just filled my 250 gb hard drive up today, the 300gb still has about 10gb left, but I want to do a hard drive swap. I want to put all my data on the new 500gb I'm getting and make it the C drive. I don't know how I would do it though. Another thing, what would be the cheapest 1tb+ raid configuration? Ex: would I use 10x100gb or 4x300gb? I don't know.

tivaelydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 04:10 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Hard drive swap.

wow thats a lot of storage and u filled it up??? anyway once u get the new hard drive just install the OS on it and plug it and transfer the files over, i think the cheapest 1tb raid config would be 2x500gb

Old 02-15-2006, 02:05 PM   #3
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to tivaelydoc Send a message via MSN to tivaelydoc Send a message via Yahoo to tivaelydoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaming_freak
wow thats a lot of storage and u filled it up??? anyway once u get the new hard drive just install the OS on it and plug it and transfer the files over, i think the cheapest 1tb raid config would be 2x500gb
I have a lot of multimedia. If I were to plug it in, wouldn't it auotmatically assign it to to the F:/ directory and if I were to transfer all the directories would mess up. Well, 2 500gb are about $640, but 4 300gb is only $480 and you're definitly get 1tb, where as with the deuce 500 you're getting less 1tb.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:06 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to joxley1990 Send a message via MSN to joxley1990

Why do you need all this? Lol, have you considered some really good, and big external hard drives?
joxley1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 12:04 AM   #5
In Runtime

If you wondering why, it's because I can fill a TB in a few weeks. I've deleted 10's of gigs everyday to make more room. And until that peta hard drive comes out next year, I need a cheap harddrive config. Externals are overpriced. I can get a 8x sata 100/150 raid card and 8x 300gb for under 1k. Even with formating, and a RAID 5 setup, that's still 2tb. If you can think of anything cheaper, let me know.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:16 AM   #6
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to RewtGuy

you can get 8x 250 gig western digitals 16mb cache sata 3.0gb/s 7200 rpms from new egg at 110 i think. Run you 880. Cards, I dunno.

That'd put you at 2 tb too. Well just shy. Make a nice raid5.

Windows: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.
RewtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote