Hard drive shuffel?

Plaid.exe

Baseband Member

Ok, so I Want to upgrade the OS in my Pavilion for windows '98 to XP, could I hook the hard drive up to my Presario as a slave a run the auto update? or would it be easer to just burn a recovery disk using my Compaq?
The Pavilion has a LAN modem, and I run aether net, so I can't up date it directly, and my Compaq has a CD writer.
what would be the easiest way to go about this?
Oh, and while I'm talking about slave drives, can I delete the 'windows' files from a dedicated slave drive?

You won't be able to install xp on one computer then put the drive into another computer, it just won't work. Also, you can't install it using the recovery disks from another computer.

Seriously, the easiest way would be to buy XP.

so I couldn't download the upgrade from the Microsoft site and burn it to disk?
that sucks. :mad:
what about the question about slave drives?
is there a thread that has already covered such info on slave drives?:confused:

what you are trying to do just simply won't work. Best thing to do is to buy a full copy of XP. Slaving the drive and installing it, then transferring the drive back is a sure fire way to get a computer that will not boot successfully.

@ OP
Im pretty sure that you wont be able to set up a HDD as a slave, as laptops do not use IDE, you will have to purchase a External Enclosure for a 3.5 IDE HDD and use it as an external HDD by plugging it into your USB port.

is there a thread that has already covered such info on slave drives?:confused:
Yeah, if it's a dedicated slave drive you can delete the windows files and such, as long as you aren't going to use it as a boot drive anymore in the original computer.

But yeah, better start thinking about plunking down the 99 bucks for a copy of xp.

My Pavilion isn't a laptop, it's a 6500 series desk top.
And I'm not planing to connect it to the Internet, it's a closed circuit for video games mainly.
I just don't like the '98 OS.

well time to buy new and get over it. there is nothing else that can be done.

My Pavilion isn't a laptop, it's a 6500 series desk top.
And I'm not planing to connect it to the Internet, it's a closed circuit for video games mainly.
I just don't like the '98 OS.
Well at this point, your only option is to buy xp.

Back
Top Bottom