Hard Drive Question! Please Help!

mikeyakouba

Baseband Member
Hey all,
So recently my hard drive died on me and is completely dead. All I had that I could use was my external so i ripped it apart and hooked it up and mounted it inside because I know USB speed would suck for booting and running an OS. So right now its running through SATA and its a 7200 RPM HD. My question is how long can I use this as my primary because I dont want to buy a new hard drive right away?

I wouldn't use it for long. One of my clients did this and it shortened her USB HDD life greatly.

You could potentially run it that way for the entire life of the drive.

I would replace it with a Caviar Black or 7200.12 at some point though, since external drives are normally very slow.

I wouldn't use it for long. One of my clients did this and it shortened her USB HDD life greatly.

It makes no difference to the drive if it is being run directly through sata or USB to sata. Either way, it's the same interface.

I second what foothead said. The drive will be perfectly happy when removed from the enclosure and installed in a computer.

External USB hard drives are just standard internal hard drives set up to run outside of the case, so Foothead's right.

Back
Top Bottom