Hard Drive Question..

aXL1

Solid State Member
I have a 40GB hard drive. 20GB's of it is Windows ME and the other 20GB is Linux. I want to get rid of the Linux and want to be able to use all 40GB's for Windows. Any help would be appreciated.

Well if your gonna do a clean install like ya other post suggests. Then ya can delete the partitions from the XP setup disc, and then create either 1 big partition for windows, or ya can have more than one, the choice is yours. Just make sure you backup any data that you need before you do this, coz its gone once ya do this.

Yeah, do a clean install from the XP disc, and delete every partition. Sometimes it is useful to split a hard drive though, for media, up to you like. If you want to get rid of it right now, just format the Linux partition within Windows.

I really dont want to do a clean-install If I dont have to. I just want to pop in the XP disc and go from there. Is there any other way I can seperate my hard drive?

joxley1990 said:
Yeah, do a clean install from the XP disc, and delete every partition. Sometimes it is useful to split a hard drive though, for media, up to you like. If you want to get rid of it right now, just format the Linux partition within Windows.

How do I do that?

Open my computer, and you should see two hard drive icons. Right click on the one that has Linux on, and just click Format!

Im not 100% on this, but i dont think windows will allow you to format the linux partition, coz i dont think it can see it. Maybe partition magic will do the job, i know that can work with linux formats. You could remove it with that, and then join the partitions together. I personally think its an untidy way to do it tho (more chance of errors etc).

joxley1990 said:
Open my computer, and you should see two hard drive icons. Right click on the one that has Linux on, and just click Format!
Don't have that under My Computer only has Local Disk (C).

joxley1990 said:
If it is not shown in My Computer, disk management will definetly see it.
We really don't know where to look for Disk Management. Where is it located?

Back
Top Bottom