Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-19-2006, 11:19 AM   #1
Solid State Member

Default Hard Drive Question

I am thinking about getting a new HD and I wanted to know if I got one that is SATA instead of EIDE would I be able to use the SATA with my old EIDE(dual HD). Also I wanted to know if this is a good hard drive for the price.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&sku=TSD-320AS

Thanks
-Mike

Stoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:29 PM   #2
PB
Baseband Member

Default Re: Hard Drive Question

Sure just connect IDE drive into an IDE connector,I just hope you have a ps that has sata connection.as for the drive you want its all right but a WD would be a nicer drive.

PB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:31 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

actually seagate is by far better than western digital in terms of noise and performance. Warrenty is extreme good too. The only good thing about western digital is their raptor series where only the 74GB ones are good.
ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:32 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

You can get molex to sata converters for the power supply problem. Also worth pointing out that this is in the wrong section
Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:47 AM   #5
PB
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownage
actually seagate is by far better than western digital in terms of noise and performance. Warrenty is extreme good too. The only good thing about western digital is their raptor series where only the 74GB ones are good.
I dont hear any noise in my 74g rapter or my 320g wd storage drive,or any noisey ones that went into other towers,,super silent drives,I have seen more seagate drives replaced then wd ,So that tells you something.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:53 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to Š88

Quote:
i can vouch for that, i have used both WD and Seagate and the Seagate harddrives are definitely quieter. I don't know about which is better quality though because i haven't had trouble in that area with either company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffaz
You can get molex to sata converters for the power supply problem.
If his motherboard supports SATA connections he should have the appropriate adapters because they should have been included with the mobo. But of course if he doesn't have them then they are available for cheap to buy.

Quote:
Also worth pointing out that this is in the wrong section

Kein Alkohol ist auch keine Lösung!
Š88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:58 PM   #7
Golden Master

I've used Maxtor, WD, and Seagate hard drives. The only one I ever had crashed on me was the Seagate hard drive. But they are known to have fast drives though. I would still vote for Seagate as one of the top drives despite of that.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:03 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

I've used Maxtor, using a 160GB seagate and 40GB WD right now. The maxtor one died on me, but was insanely fast. The seagate is also really fast, but quiet at the same time. My WD has a little whine to it when it seeks, but other than that, its running pretty strong.
ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 06:09 PM   #9
PB
Baseband Member

Quote:
I've used Maxtor, using a 160GB seagate and 40GB WD right now. The maxtor one died on me, but was insanely fast. The seagate is also really fast, but quiet at the same time. My WD has a little whine to it when it seeks, but other than that, its running pretty strong.
the whine means its got power ! Just kidding,they are pretty bullit proof drives.