HArd Drive Question

FenderG101

Baseband Member
:confused: :confused: My computer makes this High Pitched Buzzind noise that is coming from the hard drive, would replacing the hard drive make the noise stop? also will it increase my computers performance if the new hard drive has more GB? and also can you tell me if this hard drive will work with my Windows 98, with FAT32? This Hard drive And What cables will i need?

yes replacing it prolly will get rid of the buzzing noise, more GB just adds more storage space not better performance. any hdd you buy will work with Windows 98, FAT32 is a format type that you choose on installation of the operating system. that hdd(hard drive) will work but i suggest getting a SATA 3.0 Gb/s drive with a 16MB cache. that will increase performance. but that is only if your motherboard supports SATA drives. also, as the name suggests, you will need SATA cables. for the hdd you chose you will need a standard IDE connector.

first off do not buy your hdd from CompUSA, go to newegg.com and order from there. you will get a better deal even with shipping.THIS DRIVE is the exact same as the one you chose but $25 cheaper. look around and you will find even more deals.good luck.

more space on a hard drive would just be...more space, the speed of your computer would not be effected. if you upgraded from 5400 rpms to a 7200 rpm or 10000 rpm hdd, then yes, you would definitely see an increase in performance. and yeah, don't buy that hard drive, buy it off newegg, you can get 80 gb hard drives for less than what you're paying for that 40 gb on sites like newegg.com

OK Thank You but I have one more question. My Cables in the computer are IDE cables...so I know I need to buy an IDE interface Hard Drive but does it matter if it is like IDE Ultra 100 or IDE ultrA 133. and If my computer will work wqith these interfaces is that all I needc to know to know if it will be compatible with my windows 98 running on FAT32

Back
Top Bottom