Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-09-2016, 01:56 PM   #11
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: Hard drive Query

Backblaze's stats are pretty not scientific. they used a flawed system to rate the drives and the enviornment in which they did run those tests, the Seagate 3TB drives were in the worst enviornment:

Selecting a Disk Drive: How Not to Do Research - EnterpriseStorageForum.com
Dispelling Backblaze's HDD Reliability Myth - The Real Story Covered

I use nothing but seagate drives after having nothing but bad experiences with the rest. Yes, I've had a seagate drive, but 1 out of 20 dying over the course of 12 years is good enough for me.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:59 AM   #12
BSOD

They are not testing anything, they just run a server farm and collect data on when drives are put in and when they are replaced.

Technician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:05 AM   #13
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
Backblaze's stats are pretty not scientific. they used a flawed system to rate the drives and the enviornment in which they did run those tests, the Seagate 3TB drives were in the worst enviornment:

Selecting a Disk Drive: How Not to Do Research - EnterpriseStorageForum.com
Dispelling Backblaze's HDD Reliability Myth - The Real Story Covered

I use nothing but seagate drives after having nothing but bad experiences with the rest. Yes, I've had a seagate drive, but 1 out of 20 dying over the course of 12 years is good enough for me.
Interesting reads, thanks for posting!

I myself have had my 1TB Seagate 3.5 inch drive (fitted in my desktop) for about 5 years and it hasn't skipped a beat yet.

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:32 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technician View Post
They are not testing anything, they just run a server farm and collect data on when drives are put in and when they are replaced.
That may be true, but if you're going to use their data to recommend against a brand as you did, then it'd be a good idea to learn of any issues with their data, like what my links pointed to.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:51 PM   #15
Daemon Poster

If it isn't a SSD then I prefer WD Black drives. They are pretty much the only mechanical drives that still have a five year warranty, plus they are fast for a HDD.
TrotterTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:42 AM   #16
In Runtime

Going back to the subject of my original post, i.e. that I had dropped my external HDD on the carpet. My new Seagate Backup Slim drive turned up yesterday, it didn't come by courier, the postman (lady) brought it and pushed it through the letter box! There's no carpet in my porch! I know from experience that parcels get chucked about in the sorting offices and so I am wondering "What is the difference" between me dropping the drive and the post office abusing my parcel. I suppose it's the end of the story if I drop it, whereas if it doesn't work when I initially plug it in from new I do have comeback on the warranty.
I wonder how many get damaged on delivery? Just a thought!!
bluenose1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:04 AM   #17
Fully Optimized

Good question actually. Whether or not you've bought it from a shop or online, you do certainly have to consider how the drive has been treated. You may well find that items you buy in a store have been treated better because they normally have many hard drives delivered at a time, and delivery drivers tend to treat larger packages with more care.

Generally hard drive companies are quite good at issuing refunds, presumably for that reason, as it may well have been damaged on delivery. I would guess that if you inform them within 30 days you should have no problems if you notice any abnormal performance or noises.

Provided the drive is well packaged then it is *probably* okay, a bit of bubble wrap does go a long way! If the drive is simply in a box with no padding then it might be worth getting in contact with the delivery company.

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:07 PM   #18
Fully Optimized

Non-running drives with the heads parked can withstand quite a few G's without getting damaged.
strollin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:19 AM   #19
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by strollin View Post
Non-running drives with the heads parked can withstand quite a few G's without getting damaged.
Not having much by way of technical know-how, do the heads on a hard drive park themselves automatically when the drive stops being used or is there some little operation to be done that I'm not aware of.

If they do park automatically, perhaps it might be worth me looking again at my 'dropped' drive.
bluenose1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:01 PM   #20
Site Team

They do park automatically. Every time they are shut off they should park themselves away from the platters. In theory, when the drive is running, the heads should be parked when not actively reading, writing or doing internal maintenance (SMART checking, sector scan/repair etc).