Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-02-2006, 01:06 AM   #1
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to Toby Send a message via Yahoo to Toby
Default Hard Drive Problems

Okay guys,

A mate of mine came around today and said his Windows wont boot up anymore. Says that when he tries to repair/reformat, it starts going through everything, but then says it can't finish cause' it cannot recognise any HDD's.

I think he's HDD's have gone bad (but then again, that's highly unlikely, two dieing simultaneously), cause' he's sure everything is set right (primary and slave). He hasn't changed anything. The last thing that he remembers is his brother was using and then unplugging some sort of USB 2.0 device that he was using. Then the computer crashed and now wont boot up.

That's all the information I have.

Any ideas?

Dell Inspiron 9400 Notebook 120GB 5400RPM SATA HDD, 500GB 7200RPM SATA External HDD, DVD+-RW, DVD+-RW External, Mobile Intel Calistoga i945PM, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GhZ, 2GB DDR2-667MhZ Dual Channel SDRAM, Nvidia GeForce GO 7900 GS 256MB Single-Pipe.
TinyXP Rev05, PerfectDisk, TuneUp Utilities, Window Washer, Nod32, Bo-Clean, SuperAntiSpyware Pro, Spyware Blaster, Comodo Firewall Pro.
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:02 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Hard Drive Problems

Have you tryed the HDD on any different computer?

PokerDegenerate: Don't listen to these guys, I like the IDE makes it look vintage like a 68 Camaro SS...
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:10 AM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

Can you list the errors that are displayed at bootup
Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 12:16 AM   #4
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to Toby Send a message via Yahoo to Toby

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies.

Going around to my mates house now, so I'll write down what errors come up and etc.

No I haven't put the HDD in any other computer yet.
Dell Inspiron 9400 Notebook 120GB 5400RPM SATA HDD, 500GB 7200RPM SATA External HDD, DVD+-RW, DVD+-RW External, Mobile Intel Calistoga i945PM, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GhZ, 2GB DDR2-667MhZ Dual Channel SDRAM, Nvidia GeForce GO 7900 GS 256MB Single-Pipe.
TinyXP Rev05, PerfectDisk, TuneUp Utilities, Window Washer, Nod32, Bo-Clean, SuperAntiSpyware Pro, Spyware Blaster, Comodo Firewall Pro.
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:09 AM   #5
In Runtime

OK, tried the hard drive in another machine and reformat it. Also if you have a spare hdd laying around try it in his machine and reformat it. There might be a power problem that keeps killing his hard drives, testing it(HDD) in another PC would really help. When you plug the hard drive in, see if the BIOS see it.
joelbeveridge is offline   Reply With Quote