Hard drive problem

The Amish Kid

Fully Optimized
I have a 160gig seagate hard drive that came out of my old HP, well I sold the HP and kept the hard drive but I didn't really know what I was doing when I tried to reformat it or whatever well know there seems to be stuff still on it(windows stuff). I think this because my BIOS detects the hard drive as 136gb. Now when I try to put the hard drive in my computer it willn't boot. So I went to seagate's website and found this
http://seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/discwiz.html

I thought I should use Discwizard starter edition. Well I made a bootable cd or whatever well when I turn on my computer and it does nothing when I put the cd in. What should I do?

check your boot priority. So thins HDD is going to be your master? is it a PATA(IDE) or SATA?

No the 160gb hard drive is just going to be a slave for music, movies and whatnot. I had the boot priority set for my 80gb first then the 160gb, should I have switched it around? Im gonna have to go try that see if that works.

EDIT: it's an IDE hard drive. I can have a SATA and IDE hdd together right?

Yes you can have a SATA and IDE together. make sure you set the ide HDD pins to master.

well the IDE hard drive is the messed up one that I can't do anything to. If I have that set to master it dosent do anything.

OK lets start from the beginning. If it's plugged in does your computer turn on? if it does, does it show up in the BIOS? Well you said it did earlier so can you manually set the HDD space? if you can set it to 149Gb

If you can't don't worry about it. when does your computer start to screw up(when loading windows or in windows?)

Well what happens is it starts to load windows then it says there is a configuration error. I dont really care, it was just a crappy harddrive anyway it had a 2mb cache. So I dont mind much. I will just buy another when I fill my current one up.

Back
Top Bottom