Hard Drive Prob.

AOD

In Runtime
Okay so I got a new comp, F***ING OWNZ!
But I installed my other hard drive from old comp, recognized it and everything worked. But then I tried to copy my folder, it said access denied. I'm pretty sure this is because I made the folder private so you have to be in the profile of that user to use it. So I went into BIOS and tried to change which drive to boot from. I restarted and it just started up and then restarted it's self. So I set it back, I only changed the hard drive priority thing, but there is another thing with IDE Master 0, IDE Slave 0, IDE Master 1, IDE Master 2 etc. I tried to change the IDE Master 0 to the old one but I dunno how to do it. :\ Any help is appreciated. My mobo is the Gigabyte GA-M51GM-S2G.

Okay, So I just thought that it might be that the other hard drive has the drivers from the old computer. Could that be it? Also if anyone knows if the file being private would actually do this would be handy. Meh, I can at least play games so that'll keep me going for a while until I solve it. XD Woot for all high settings!!!

Can you not use your old computer any more? What you could do is..

Get the old hard drive, and put the jumper, in the master position. Then, make it the primary hard drive, according to the IDE cable - (although you should be using SATA if it's a gaming machine
winking.gif
)

Do that, and then you will have to repair XP, because the old hard drive, will not reconise the new chipset.

So, repair XP, then move everything to a folder, in the opening of the C:// Drive, so you can easily get it.

Then, put the jumper, on the slave pins, and put the jumper on the new drive, onto the master pins. Hook the cable up accordingly, and off you go!

I just can't be bothered putting it back into other computer. :p I'll try just switching cables and if that fails I'll just put it back in old comp. Thanks for help. :D On second thoughts I'll try just repairing windows because it gave the blue screen that xp errors come up on for like 1ms before it restarts.

Hmm, What do I have to do in the recovery console? I tried fixmbr and fixboot those did nothing, I also tried copy the file but that didn't work either.

OK...
you can't access the old hard drive from your new computer bacause you mad the file private.

you can't boot from the old hard drive in your new computer because the devices on the main board are significantly different, (so different that they cause the widndows installation on your old hard drive to crash during boot).

to get your old files so that you can see them I suggest that you right click on the files and select properties.

then select security.
press advanced
then go to the owner tab and press take ownership.
this should sort out the permissions on the files.
(I'm not sure if all those options are available on windows XP home), I know I had loads of trouble when I had to re-install windows once, since all the security permissions are based on unique guids, rather than usernames.

Reset the BIOS using the jumper - move it across to the spare pin ( it'll cover Pin 2 and Pin 3 first, move it so it covers Pin 1 and Pin 2) and leave it for 30 seconds. Then move it back.

Try and boot up then.

To solve your private folder problem, boot into Adminstrator by going into Safe Mode and using Administrator as your username, and change the permission of the user or the folder.

AOD said:
Hmm, What do I have to do in the recovery console? I tried fixmbr and fixboot those did nothing, I also tried copy the file but that didn't work either.

You dont use the recoery console, just find the installation, as if you were going to re-format, and when it searches for previous versions of windows, find your installation, and repair it, I think it's the R button.

Do everything, just not the recovery console!

Can I get a w00t? I did it using a combination of safe mode and then what root said.
Good team effort. XD Thanks for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom