Hard drive price gone up?

Captain Pooka

Daemon Poster
Man, I just looked at HDD prices (for someone's post) and they are way expensive now.. just a week ago a paid 40$ less for my HDD... I look on Newegg now and they're 100s of dollars, I don't mean just for the SATA 6s either.. what's the deal? I'm gonna go read some news.

-Q

The reason for this is a major component supply failure in Taiwan. As a result all the big names are hard to get hold off hence the larger prices.

If you wait a week or two should be back to normal again alternatively get a second hand unit from eBay.

Daniel Hunt
www.stroudyit.co.uk

Widespread flooding in Thailand has affected several manufacturing plants that produce HDDs.

Even though prices have spiked up, I feel HDD prices are still very reasonable. They were almost ridiculously cheap before and now are simply reasonable.

I'm not sure I agree that prices will drop back to normal in 2 weeks, stuff I've read says it will take something like 7 months to restore production capacity at the affected plants.

Want to see expensive buy a solid state drive. Holy hell I cant believe how much those suckers cost

Eh, SDD isn't that bad. It's 1-2$ per GB. I remember when they were SUPER expensive. Good thing the Thailand thing didn't effect SSD it doesn't look like...

I don't see what you guys are talking about. Can you quote specific examples? All of the drives I buy for work are at the same price points as they've been for the past few months.

Yes I can... I bought a green WD drive for 50$ and it's 75$ now. I had to go back to my "previous orders" in my NewEgg account and check

If yours are the same price as they always have been you've been getting screwed! :)

Eh, SDD isn't that bad. It's 1-2$ per GB. I remember when they were SUPER expensive. Good thing the Thailand thing didn't effect SSD it doesn't look like...

Yeah I know. Thats what I mean. You buy a 320GB SSD HDD and its about....well $320!!! For now I can only afford platter based HDD

Back
Top Bottom