Hard Drive Prevents Computer from powering On.

crocitto49

Solid State Member
My issue is that I have just built a new computer, and when i plug the SATA hard drive into the power supply, it prevents the computer from powering on. When It's not plugged in, the computer is fine, except with no hard drive. I have tested the Drive on another power supply and it also prevented that supply from starting. The only thing, both power supplies were basic 450w ones that come in the computer cases. If you can help me, it would be great! :)

You've pretty much done all the work yourself. You know it's not an individual computer, so the only thing really left is a bad hard drive.

Was the hard drive working before it was tried in the new machine?

It's not uncommon for a bad drive to prevent the computer from booting or powering up. I just had a WD 500GB drive do that. I was testing it for a friend that said it died. Well, he was right.

If it's still under warranty, you may be able to send it in for a replacement.

Funny Thing, mines also a 500GB WD Hard drive. It worked, until I had an unfortunate incident where all of my old machine except for one stick of kingston Ram went to the toilet. I was just making sure that its not zapping too much power from the supply.

Back
Top Bottom