Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-27-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy
Default Hard drive only showing up as 32gb??

So I have a Samsung Spinpoint SP0802N 80gb hard drive out of a Dell Dimension. No matter what I do to the thing it still only shows up as 32 gb. I think I have the jumper settings correct, there is a jumper to limit the drive to 32gb but I don't have it on that setting.

Every time I go to install XP on it, it still only shows the drive as 32 gb and will only format it as that capacity. When I use parted magic to format it, it sees the correct capacity but won't format the drive. This drive is out of a computer that was riddled with viruses so is it possible that the drive could be bad? Anyone have any experience with this and could tell me the correct settings for it? The settings are on the drive but nothing seems to be working. Even tried it in 2 different computers.

Also, what is the point of having a setting to cut the drive down to less than half of it's capacity? I don't understand that at all.

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Hard drive only showing up as 32gb??

It seems unlikely that viruses would destroy over half the drive, but I don't think it's impossible. The only thing that doesn't make sense is that that one program say all 80GB there.
If you can, set the drive as a storage drive, and tell the computer to show all hidden files and folders. I had nearly half a 64mb flash drive filled up with nothing like that. It's possible that viruses would make secret storage locations to avoid being found.

XPEX Vortex 3620 Mid Tower, Rosewill 450 Watt PSU, MSI P6N SLI Platinum 650i, Intel Celeron D 356, 2GB G.SKILL DDR2 800, Western Digital 40GB, (2) EVGA 7950GT 256MB Video Cards in SLI, HP DVD Multi-Burner, Windows XP.
63083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
So I have a Samsung Spinpoint SP0802N 80gb hard drive out of a Dell Dimension. No matter what I do to the thing it still only shows up as 32 gb. I think I have the jumper settings correct, there is a jumper to limit the drive to 32gb but I don't have it on that setting.

Every time I go to install XP on it, it still only shows the drive as 32 gb and will only format it as that capacity. When I use parted magic to format it, it sees the correct capacity but won't format the drive. This drive is out of a computer that was riddled with viruses so is it possible that the drive could be bad? Anyone have any experience with this and could tell me the correct settings for it? The settings are on the drive but nothing seems to be working. Even tried it in 2 different computers.

Also, what is the point of having a setting to cut the drive down to less than half of it's capacity? I don't understand that at all.
Have you tried to find the manual at all on the sammy website? If you do, check the jumper settings (I know you are sure, but you never know...I know that I've had em set wrong before).

As for the last question, the setting is so that newer drives can be used in older systems that don't support that large of a drive... Pointless, I know...but a point nonetheless.

EDIT: Do you have a linux live cd? You could pop it in and see if it'd read/format in that!
Old 05-27-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_56013 View Post
Have you tried to find the manual at all on the sammy website? If you do, check the jumper settings (I know you are sure, but you never know...I know that I've had em set wrong before).

As for the last question, the setting is so that newer drives can be used in older systems that don't support that large of a drive... Pointless, I know...but a point nonetheless.

EDIT: Do you have a linux live cd? You could pop it in and see if it'd read/format in that!
Well, I mentioned that I tried parted magic which is a Linux program, but I do have an Ubuntu live cd, perhaps I'll try that.

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:26 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
Well, I mentioned that I tried parted magic which is a Linux program, but I do have an Ubuntu live cd, perhaps I'll try that.
If you have another way you can hook it up to a computer such as an IDE/SATA to usb cable. I keep mind handy for these types of things..

Maybe you have another partition taking up space on it?

"If that guy knew half the $h*t that I know, his fuzzy little head would explode. " - Matthew Farrell
vampist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:33 PM   #6
In Runtime

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=hard+...fp=jdOYMfF-0fs
EVGA GeForce 8600GT 256MB Video Card
MSN trugirl233@hotmail.com
shadygirl420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:36 PM   #7
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Your windows disk wouldn't happen to be pre-SP2 would it? If so Try getting a SP2 disk or slip streaming one.

I doubt that cap on drives in SP1 was that low, but I do know it had one.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:44 PM   #8
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
Your windows disk wouldn't happen to be pre-SP2 would it? If so Try getting a SP2 disk or slip streaming one.

I doubt that cap on drives in SP1 was that low, but I do know it had one.
Not that low; with SP1, my uncle installed on an 80GB drive just fine.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:24 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

Nope. Cap was 147GB, IIRC.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:06 PM   #10
Daemon Poster

well my windows xp disc is stil sp1 haha, but you just upgrade it with free downloads that microsoft offers, and the os doesnt cap your hd. If you are still using sp1 just upgrade it real fast

hemp is offline   Reply With Quote