Hard Drive noise

cheese91822

Baseband Member
I got a new lenovo 3000 n200 for christmas. Today i was in the middle of soemthing and all of a sudden there was this crunching noise. The hard drive light on the computer was constantly on which meant i knew it was the hard drive. Also hard drives have those distingtive noises. When i turned it back on the noise was less but it kept happening i could no longer boot any OS (I have ubuntu and xp installed) it just kept on saying disk boot error or something.
The noise is really worrying me and i seriously do not want anything to happen due to the fact that i have a lot of coursework on there. I did not do anything to the laptop i was using like i should.

Is this it for the hard drive?

Thanks
Matt

Definitely sounds like the hard drive died. When they make that awful crunching sound, they're pretty much gone.

You could try the freezer trick to get your work off it. Remove the drive and put it in a zip lock bag. Stick it in the freezer over night, then replace it back in the computer. This may give you enough time to back up your data to CD or DVD.

See if it makes a noise in another computer I doubt it would be vibration,
try backing up and get a new Hardrive.

It died, and if you can't get it to boot, either normal or by the freezer trick, then I'm afraid that your files are gone too. Perhaps you could call around to computer shops to see if they can recover the data for you, but I doubt you'll have much luck doing that.

I have contacted lenovo but i have heard that they have turd customer services.

Thanks for help

i think i have found out why it broke. In my pocket i had those magnets which u chuck up in the air and they make a noise. Above my pocket there was the place which the hard drive sits in. After i found this out i thought s***" and lenovo havent emailed back yet

i think i have found out why it broke. In my pocket i had those magnets which u chuck up in the air and they make a noise. Above my pocket there was the place which the hard drive sits in. After i found this out i thought s***" and lenovo havent emailed back yet

It'll take a lot stronger of a magnet to kill your drive. If you know what a degausser is, that is a much more powerful magnet and that still won't kill a drive.

It'll take a lot stronger of a magnet to kill your drive. If you know what a degausser is, that is a much more powerful magnet and that still won't kill a drive.

Now thats a big magnet. But directly above my pocket was the hard drive space. Mabye it's just a faulty hard drive from the beginning and has died

thanks

Back
Top Bottom