Hard Drive on new comp question...

killthenakedcat

In Runtime
well i just built a new computer and i got it to the point where it turns on....fans running cd drive and Hard Drive are detected but I cannot boot from the HD...it is an old hard drive from 2005 from my emachines...my problem is that while it is detected in the bios and set as the first and proprietorial boot device...it does not boot even though windows is on the drive...my question is: What do I need to do to get the computer to boot from the hard drive? do i need to format the drive even thoughit worked fine on the emachines and has windows on it? and do i need a windows disk as well? if so i might have to end up taking it to geek squad or teletechies or some shit like that...which would suck.

In most instances, you can not use a drive with an existing OS installation in a new system. There are too many driver and registry conflicts. Try doing a repair install. Follow this tutorial: XP Repair Install. Doing it that way will keep your current programs and files intact.

so in that case all i need is an os disk? and thats all just do it that way and i dont need to do anything more than that>?

Yup that's pretty much it. You will have to reinstall your drivers (video card, sound, motherboard chipset, etc) and OS updates too.

Correct. If you have files and programs that you need on that drive, the repair install as shown is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom