Hard drive messed up?

I tried to boot windows onto a blank HDD, but I got the following error message:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build081)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE Rom
Drive not ready- System halted

I'm guessing there is an easy way to fix this problem, but I wouldn't know and I hope you guys might. Thanks

You installed windows onto the blank drive? So it has formatted within the windows setup and started installing?
What windows did you try to install?
Sorry if you look at this and go, 'course i have!'. I'm just checking, becasue when you say boot, do you mean install?

Finally what steps have you took since you got the new HD to get it set up? Is there another drive connected with it with windows on that your trying to boot this blank drive with?

Hope I can help, though didn't fully understand what you said :( Sorry

Actually I should have said tryed to install windows on a blank HDD. I can't get the CD to boot and that error message comes up.

Hmm... that error message will be the case if it doesn't boot since your chipset/motherboard doesn't know what to do because it has nothing to boot to, because the new drive won't be formatted either and so it can't see anything,hehe

Go into BIOS. press del at bootup in most systems

Then go to the first option i think,or if not, second and you'll see a boot order. It will go like this:

first boot device
second boot device
etc

Make sure the first boot device is set to CD ROM, and the second to the hard drive, or otherwise known as 'IDE-0' or 1 if it says this. This will change the boot order so your computer tries to see the cd before trying to load the hard drive which it can't.

Then go to the main menu of bios and then select to save and exit. It should now read the disc and carry onto the Windows installation.
It might ask if it should start booting from the disc, press enter to continue

I hope this helps :)

EDIT: Check your PM list Shazbot at the top of the page, on the link bar :)

Er... I don't think It's correct or I'm doing something right.

There are 6 options at the top of the BIOS: Main, Advanced, Security, Power, Boot, Exit.

Well, it's not the main or exit option, because there is nothing having to do with boot configuration there. I'm guessing it's the boot option, I already configured it to the correct options. CD-ROM first, HDD second, Removable Drive, and last PXE-UNDI.

That should work then :) Sorry about not explaining the first bit right. I wouldn't know without rebooting, and boot option seems right.

Whats PXE-UNDI? Is that a cd drive or something you might have the disc in? I wouldn't know what that is...

Hope it works :D

Nope it won't work, I erased PXE-UNDI (not sure what this is either) and I now get a Boot Failure System Halted error. I then added the PXE-UNDI and I get the stupid Media Cable error. One thing strange is that is won't reconize that HDD(maybe because there is nothing on it?) and the HDD makes strange noises (like whirl... and beep). I also noticed that the HDD gets very hot unlike my other HDD's.

Hmm... it would come up with that error if it wasn't set up right.

As for that PXE-UNDI, it must be something to do with the media centre pc you have set up, so add this back to the list. Try booting this up first, then your cd rom, then hard drive

Is the hard drive plugged up right? Open up the computer and check it is plugged up as a Master drive by checking the back of it. Are the jumpers in the right place? Also check that the cable isn't twisted which might stop it from working...

Hope this helps

ok, found out that it was set to slave. I put it to Master, but I still get the media error. I'm thinking about just taking it to the shop and getting it fixed because nothing I have tried seems to be working.

Hmm, the media error might be the cauise of that thing you disabled.
So go back to bios and put that hardware back to boot, since you said it only happened after removing this :)

If it doesn't boot then, it might be best if you got it from there, and might have had the problem in the first place.

Is another hard drive in there as well though, or did you just replace the hard drive? and why?

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom