Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-08-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default Hard drive issue!!!

I have this problem that is really starting to bug me... I deleted the upper and lower filters from the registry due to not being able to detect my CD/DVD drives which is what i was suppose to do, now when i rebooted my D drive has changed its letter to H drive and i cannot detect my hard drives in disk management What could be the problem???

peteyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:46 PM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: Hard drive issue!!!

Well considering you have tampered with the registry, you should do a repair install on Windows XP (considering that is the OS you have) Otherwise go into Safe Mode and see if you can access any other features.

Reliable Online Backup? Click Here!
Verbatim47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:41 PM   #3
Solid State Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbatim47 View Post
Well considering you have tampered with the registry, you should do a repair install on Windows XP (considering that is the OS you have) Otherwise go into Safe Mode and see if you can access any other features.
i know that i have tampered with the registry but thats what it told me to do and feedback from other people was positive... Is there any kind of program that can fix the registry apart from windows repair or another way to access disk management?

EDIT:
i think i've narrowed it down to the filter drivers, apparently im missing some filter drivers. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 07-09-2009, 02:55 AM   #4
Beta Member

reformat ur PC so it could bring back every settings you made on it....

or

check ur cables & power supplies connecting to the drive that is missing on windows maybe that would be the problem (replace any old IDE's and change power connectors to the drive )
shadowstriker07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:54 AM   #5
Solid State Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowstriker07 View Post
reformat ur PC so it could bring back every settings you made on it....

or

check ur cables & power supplies connecting to the drive that is missing on windows maybe that would be the problem (replace any old IDE's and change power connectors to the drive )
reformat, nooo fkn way, done that too many times in the past getting sick of it. I've checked the cables and they're fine but now the problem is relating to nero burning software...Nothing will detect my CD/DVD drives but they are active therefore i cant burn with nero or any burning software even WMP.
What now...??

PROBLEM SOLVED!
It seemed that i had an infection that stopped me from using any software to burn or use my CD/DVD drives eg. Nero... The infection displayed:

"THE MAXIMUM NUMBER OF SECRETS THAT MAY BE STORED IN A SINGLE SYSTEM AS BEEN EXCEEDED"

solution:

i simply used combofix - http://www.combofix.org/

it went through a good 20-30min process and deleted a whole lot of sh*t that my computer was infected with, then everything is back to normal, all CD/DVD drives are detected.

Just posting this for other peoples needs since i searched the whole net looking for a solution that only i came up with...