Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default Hard drive help

well my Desktop keeps getting the blue error and it would cost more to repair then the value of the desktop as its fairly old. Decided to purchase a lap top a few months ago and would like to retrieve all information off my desktop and transfer it to my laptop how amongst would i go by doing this, somebody told me earlier on in the year but I forgot what I need.

Desktop hard drive > laptop > retain all necessary information of `value`

shookwun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
Daemon Poster
Default Re: Hard drive help

Right, well... it sort of depends on the problem with your desktop. If it was indeed the hdd, then you will have to go through a more lengthy process.

Assuming the hdd is ok, it's still not going to be easy. You can't just hook up your drive as a slave in your laptop. You're going to have to buy an external enclosure to accomidate your 3.5" hdd and connect it via USB to your laptop.

In this case, you will be able to hook up your drive through USB and just see it in "My Computer" as you would a regular flash drive. This way you should be able to pull everything off.

If this is NOT the case and your hdd is bad, you will have to run a program, such as getdataback or something of the sort, to pull all of your information off.

In either case, you'll need an external enclosure. If you have another *working* desktop computer laying around you can use that instead...

Captain Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote