Hard drive for gaming PC?

blp

Solid State Member
I am wondering if a 7200rpm hard drive (western digital 250GB) would be good for an intense gaming PC? I will be playing games like Rome Total war, DOOM3, and Halflife 2

rpm is only one aspect to HDD how fast a HDD is. The other 2 are bandwidth and access time.

But yes, the 250GB 7200rpm is a good HDD for games. By this I know that 250 is either SATA or ATA, and the access time is about 8-10ms.

Yes...ATA.

Do you see Interface...IDE ATA100?

Also...ATA costs around $175, if it was SCSI it would cost around $1800 - $2000, and I don't think most people are going to spend a couple grand on HDD.

Hell, my video card was $400 and I thought that was high.

yes that will be fine for a gaming pc, even a little smaller, you'd spend less money. are you going to use it for anything else other than gaming?

Western Digital 74gb Raptor. 10,000 RPMs, 8mb cache, SATA. Fast as hell (escpecially if in RAID config.) if you dont mind the noise.

to answer one of your guys ?'s is I am going to use it mainly for gaming and MP3's. so i am looking to have the storage and the speed. I looked at those 10,000rpm drives and originaly that is what I wanted but the person who is building this for me dosnt like them and said that 7,200rpm would have no problem handleing the games I am going to through at it. Also I really dont mind the noise to much but quiet would be nice. anyway if I were to get 2 western digital 74.4GB 10,000rpm HDDs what would I have to do extra to my PC to make this work?

Back
Top Bottom